Mallard ducklings...5 weeks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ellenaspen, May 11, 2011.

1. ellenaspen

ellenaspen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Someone found 8 mallard ducklings without their mom (5 weeks...starting to feather out). We have them in a brooder with a lamp if it is chilly. We live in northern Texas and temperatures are in the 90's in the day and 80's at night. However we could have a cool front where the temp drops to mid 70's in the day and low 60's at night.

When do you think we would be able to put them out by the pond. We have some muscovies that are around the pond that are used to mallards that visit. But, I don't see any of the muscovies taking the ducklings "under their wings" so to speak.

I am really ready to move them out as they are making a huge mess [​IMG].

TIA, Ellen

2. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Go ahead and move them out. I live in CT and the weather here is obviously cooler. It's around 70-60 degrees around noon and about 40-50 at night. I moved mine out at around 6-7 weeks and they're okay.[​IMG]

3. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Don't take them from the wild! The mother might still be alive. At 5 weeks, they can survive on their own. Once they are fully feather (in a few weeks), they will be able to swim without any problems. Their oil glands are already very developed. They were fine before the person took them in!!

4. ellenaspen

ellenaspen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Quote:We have had them for about 5 weeks...they were only a few days old when they were brought to us. I don't know what happened to the mom. They were brought to someone who brought them to us because she knew we incubated and raised chickens.

5. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Oh! Then you are a kind and passionate person for saving them! I thought someone saw them at a local water reservoir and brought them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by