Mallard ducklings red skin??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Marrionna, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Marrionna

Marrionna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    I just got two mallard ducklings today after one of our campbells died. we originally had just two and didn't want the alive one to be lonely ( shes about a month old). The mallards have very red skin and ones feathers are kinda ruffled up a bit. The place where we got them said their fine and they all looked like that but when we got our campbells (from a different place) the people also said giving them medicated feed was fine and thats how our Campbell died so im not so sure I trust them. I want to see if there is anything wrong with them and if there's anything I can do to help them. I put a picture you can see the worse one I cant get a good angle of the other but hes mostly the same.[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Is that one wet in the photo?.....Have you let them swim yet....?....I dont think it is anything to worry about...:)....Were they in a bin with lots of Ducklings?.....Does it scratch at its back?...

As long as it's eating good and drinking lots, I think it's going to be okay...:)

:).....Cheers!

3. Marrionna

Apr 8, 2017
    No its not wet. I wanted to wait until it was warmer to let them swim and I think today I will let them. I haven't seen them scratching or anything and they eat and drink plenty.

4. chickens really

Do these ducklings live in a heated brooder?.....The first bath can be and should be done with warm water in a sink, tub or some type of container and deep enough to touch the ground..only 10 minutes and supervised as they can still drown ...A heat source after the bath to dry off ...:)

The ducking is then dirty and needs a bath to stimulate the oil gland..:)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  5. Marrionna

Apr 8, 2017
    I've given them a bath and let them sit on a heating pad and they are looking much better :) thanks for the help

6. chickens really

Yes...:)....I thought it was a quick fix..;)...Ducklings need to wash up and be able to dunk their heads when they eat...Ducklings and Ducks choke on feed without water deep enough to noodle in...:)

Cheers!

7. Marrionna

Apr 8, 2017
    all nice and clean :)[​IMG]

8. chickens really

Perfect and so adorable!....:).......Best wishes....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by