Mallard Ducks Fighting

CJ1245

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
Hello,

I have two mallard ducks, one male one female, about 10 months old, living together since they were hatched.
The female stopped laying eggs about a week ago, we remove the eggs right away after she had them.
Starting yesterday they keep trying to fight each other, they peck at each others chest and tops of the heads somewhat aggressively.
I keep separating them and keeping them apart, if I put them back together they are ok for about 15 minutes and then they go after each other again.

Any ideas to keep them from fighting?

Thanks.
Joe

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Are they hurting one another? Might be best to let them work this out as long as no one is getting injured. My female Muscovy is taking care of ducklings now an will beat up anyone who comes close. She was pretty much that way when she was broody too. Could your female be broody even though she hasn’t eggs and nest they are very temperamental.

CJ1245

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
Any recommendations to make her less protective of something that isn’t there? Her nest doesn’t exist anymore?

When they are together for a bit they are ok and then she just charges at him and starts to peck at his chest and he gets defensive.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
It’s hormones and it has to run it’s course. You could keep them separated but where they can still see each other. I’ve had to put a few of my Muscovy females in what I call solitary confinement for a few days to try an get her to calm down and it has worked. She is inside a small coop where she can see everyone but she can’t be with them and beat up on her sisters.

Top Bottom