Mallard ducks..winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ozark hen, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Will I need to keep a kiddie pool of water for my mallards even in the winter or will a bucket of water do? I hate the thought of them actually in the water when it is freezing outside. do muscovies (sp?) need a kiddie pool or are they the kind who just need a bucket of water? My mallards are now 14 weeks.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't have mallards, but my call ducks are small like them. My calls LOVE the colder weather, so I wouldn't worry about them this winter. My calls hardly ever go in their shelter. If there's a very low wind chill and snow predicted I'll herd them in their shelter and lock them in for the night. I don't keep out their swimming pool all winter, but use smaller feed pans (about 16" diameter and 6" deep) that are easier to dump out and keep from freezing. The most important thing is to have something deep enough that they can get their whole head underwater. I can't speak to what your muscovies require....I've never had any ducks like them.

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks Katy. We have a few of those black rubber tubs for watering that I keep in their pen. They won't use their pen though, they always run into the coop with the chickens and mess up all the chicken's water! [​IMG]

4. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Those black rubber tubs are worth every penny. I have some that are 15 years old now and have been outside in the weather every day.

Water freezes in them and you just flip them over and stomp. Out pops a big ice cube.

The ducks won't need a pool in the winter. They would like a pool in the winter but don't need it. I've had my ducks swimming around in water with chunks of ice in it. I have natural water most of the year running nearby. Only this time of year does it dry up and they take to the kiddie pools.

Too cold to keep the pools going here much after mid November but the moment anything starts to thaw they are in it. They don't seem bothered by the ice. I cringe more watching them than they do.

For shelter as long as they can get out of the wind and wet they are fine.

5. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Can someone please show me a photo of the black rubber tubs that you're talking about? I'll need something in a few months too for my ducks, but don't know what those look like exactly or where to get something like them.
    thanks-Lisa
    PS.It freezes hard here in NJ most winters.

OK- I just googled them ans see what it looks like. I bet my Agway sells them. or Tractor Supply.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  6. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Lisa the rubber water black dishes are like feed dishes sold at Tractor supply . Saw some this weekend at the one in Millville.

ML

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sorry, Lisa, I didn't see this post till tonight. here is a picture of one of our tubs. I have a very small one in with the seven guineas and a med. size in the coop with a milk jug filled with water that sits in the middle of the tub..to keep the ducks from swimming in it, then I fill that tub with water for everyone.
    [​IMG]

8. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I was at the co-op today and I seen one of those black tubs, 5 gallon, and it said it was a warmer it would keep the water from freezing.. Do those work.. it was also $45.00

9. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Trust me...I did not pay $45. I have had the large one for a very long time. It has gotten a skin of ice on the top but with it filled it hasn't frozen solid. I can always change the water in it. I suspect the smaller ones might if not in a coop with a standard lightbulb. We don't use heat lamps as they just get way too hot. These chickens/ducks come with their own down you know? they huddle together and keep warm pretty good on their own. Cochins are one of the breeds that do very well in cold weather. I use the deep litter method and my dh lined the walls with plastic and then covered them with plywood. I am not worred about this winter now. [​IMG]

10. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Ozark hen-thanks for the picture. I'll try my Agway then Tractor Supply next. My chickens are going through a large waterer everyday right now, so I need to get them something else to drink from. Would that work for chickens too? I will have to get a few for the ducks b/c their pen won't have electric to it during hte winter. We have very cold and freezing winters.( I hate them.)But I won't worry about the ducks in that weather-I just want them to have water available and not have to carry out warm or hot water to their pen everyday to thaw the frozen stuff over and over. I'll have to stock up now before the nasty cold weather comes. It'll be here too soon for me!
    Thanks.Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by