Mallard ducks

lisa clifft

Hatching
Jul 7, 2016
I've had a male and female that are around 1 year old. They have 7 babies that are 5 weeks old. They are somewhat wild, living on our pond with me feeding them 2 times a day. We cannot touch or catch them. Yesterday they wouldn't allow one of the babies to eat and then wouldn't let it on the duck house last night. They other babies chase it, biting it. What caused this and how do I help?

The best thing to do is remove it and raise it on your own (WITH A FRIEND) until it is bigger.
It may have a defect, though, and that is why they are ostratchizing him.

Where are you from? In the USA it is the law you can't keep/raise wild ducks.

It sounds like these are her ducks that she possibly raised since they were young. I could be wrong but these ducks don't sound wild.

These are my ducks. I purchased the first male/female last year and the little ones are their babies. I've raised them on our pond. they will come to me when I feed them but won't let me touch them. I'm not sure how to catch the one they have ostracized.

You can do it carefully with a big dip net for fishing. Maybe you can toss some food out to help draw them in, and quickly/carefully net the ducking. I've had to do the same thing with one that hatched 3 days later than the rest of his siblings. The mother and siblings rejected him. Good luck!!!!! I hope all goes well!!!

Back
Top Bottom