1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mallard eggs - should I incubate??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deb Edwards, May 30, 2007.

1. Deb Edwards

Deb Edwards Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    My dog ate most of a nest of Mallard eggs. Mamma is nowhere to be found and I am not sure how long she's been off the nest. (my dog just likes the eggs, she didn't eat the mamma) It's warm here, so I think the eggs could still be viable. I want to save them if I can - but don't know how long since they were laid.

Temp - same as chicken eggs?
    humidicy - same as for chicken eggs?
    egg turner or not?

Please email me with any suggestions.

Thanks!
    Deb

2. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    I don't know if there are rule or regulations in your area concerning wildlife and what to do in these situations, but check out this website for duck incubation info.
    http://www.duckeggs.com/hatching-eggs.html

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I believe mallards are protected under federal laws. I would look into it further.

Jody

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Check with your local Fish and Game Deptartment. THey will steer y ou in the right direction and find a rehabber near you.

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    It is almost certainly illegal for you to care for these eggs, even with the best intentions. Finding a wildlife rehabber is the only truly appropriate option given both the fact that they are wild animals, and the fact that you could get a heavy fine for keeping them.

Incidentally, try not to feel too bad. Mallards will almost always re-lay a nest if one gets eaten. With that in mind, keep the dog on leash next time in that area.

-MTchick

6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    When I was younger, someone gave my mother an electric skillet. She didn't like it, so we put it on low and incubated some duck eggs in it. You have to pad it real good and be real careful when you turn them. They have to be turned more often than chicken eggs. Also, they have to be kept damp. A spray bottle did the trick. And, duck eggs take a week longer than chicken eggs. I think they were Mallards. They grew up and flew the coop.

Rufus

7. Deb Edwards

Deb Edwards Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought of the legality of this issue. Will call the appropriate folks and find out what I can/should do legally.

Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by