Mallard eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crissycriss, Sep 17, 2012.

1. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    I have a question for expert duck owners.I have mallards that are laying.They have been laying since end of Aug. I have a broody hen(chicken) her eggs are no good so i put 3 mallard eggs under her.My question is will the eggs be good to Hatch?They were laid Sunday.I have 3 drakes. They are 22 wks old.Thanks for your great replys in advance!! :)

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Yes I would fully expect them to hatch. They take about 28 days. If the hens r laying then the drakes are old enough too. I have used chickens to hatch ducks b4 too.

3. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    Ok thank you so very much!!One more question do i need to spray the eggs with a light mist of water at any time or will my hen still beable to control the right humidity?Sorry for such a dumb question i read somewhere where someone sprayed the eggs once a day if they were duck eggs..Thanks!

4. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    I have never done this when I used a chicken as a broody for them and they hatched fine. Now in the bator I have.

5. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Don't forget that duck eggs incubate longer than chicken ones. I've never tried, but I've heard that sometimes hens will give up on a nest when 21 days has come and gone, figuring that the eggs just aren't going to hatch. So, might be good to have a Plan B in mind around that time. (ideally an incubator, but even a heat pad might buy enough time to figure out a better plan.)

6. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Actually they can feel the movement and know that they hold warmth longer then spoiled or dead eggs when she returns after a meal or potty break but I do agree its always a good idea to have a plan B.

7. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    Thank you to both of you,I will remember this and try getting a incubator or make a homemade one.Better be safe than sorry.

8. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    I've candled the eggs and all 3 are looking good.They have vains and a very visible embryo so excited.I'm in the process of making a homemade incubator out of a large colmen cooler.Hope it works just in case i need it.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully you won't [​IMG]

10. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    Well sadly i went out yesterday to feed all my bittys got to my broody pen and shes out of her nest.I peek in at the eggs well they are gone,not to be found any where.I was so mad. My dad said a snake must have gotteen in some how.They were developing great.I could even see them moving.Man i hate it even more for my mama hen.She was wanting to be a mama so bad.Well maybe she will have better luck next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by