Mallard going broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ozark hen, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have two mallard hens (something got my drake) and 9 Muscovies. I found my mallard hen sitting on a pile of eggs in the middle of an iris bed. she gets off them at dusk and I was able to see all large white eggs...muscovies and one brown [​IMG] egg in there. I see no what I call army green eggs from her? I have guineas, and all brown or bluish green EE layers? Now, I noticed her missing during the daytime a couple days ago but always there at roosting time. Last night, at roosting time, she was off the eggs again. Now was she just eating and drinking or does she stay off them all night? There are 8 or 9 eggs in the pile. I didn't touch them. Will there come a time when she will stay on them to incubate them? I have never had ducks hatch before so I am curious. Thanks in advance.

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Was there always 9 in the nest? Ducks lay an egg a day until they get about 9 or 10, so she should start to sit soon.

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sorry, I am not understanding your question? I saw the nest yesterday with 9 or so eggs in it. She is sitting on it now but will probably get off it soon. those are not her eggs, she lays an army green colored egg. I am asking if it is normal for her to stay on the eggs for all the daylight hours and then get off? It is new to me?? [​IMG]

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    If shes not laying any of her eggs than I don't really know. Chicken hens will sit on other hens eggs so maybe your duck is doing that. Of course if she hasn't sat continuously for this long I don't think she'll set.

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    It's ducks I don't know about... [​IMG] I just saw her off the nest again and went out to look, ..more muscovie eggs...now mind you I have never seen a muscovie on the nest...I just saw a guinea so the brown egg in there must be a guinea's egg. Very strange behavior here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by