Mallard hen gone...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secuono, Oct 20, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, my mallard hen has been escaping every morning for 3+ weeks. The other day I chased her back in, but she had escaped again by the time I got home. Today, she is gone, finally eaten. Stupid duck...
    Her wings were trimmed a long time ago so she wouldn't fly out of their pen or fly off with wild birds. So if something did go after her, she had little chance, but she should of known better. I'm wondering if I should sell off the other 4 ducks I have or add to them. No idea, their eggs are big, better than chickens. Already down sizing my chickens and getting rid of the guineas, they eat too much.
    *sigh*

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    What makes you think that she has been eaten? Could she be setting on eggs in an area that is hidden and you don't know about? When she comes back, just sit back and watch her and see where she is going. Don't let her see or know that you are watching her. Do it VERY carefully. You may find the answers to your questions.

I once had a muscovy hen that layed eggs, set on eggs and hatched eggs right in the front yard in my flower bed where there was a foot tree with shrubs in the area in an area I never knew. When they hatched, she walked them out and was waiting at the gate to the chicken yard when I got home. I was in SHOCK when I got home and saw her and her 12 ducklings. I opened the gate and she and her babies wobbled in like nothing happened. [​IMG]

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Nevermind, an hour and 30min into everyone free ranging and there she is, napping with the other ducks...what?!
    She didn't even quack to the others to find her way back like she normally does.

I know she is going out to lay eggs, still can't find them, but she always comes back. I guess today she wandered too far and it took her longer to get back.

Ducks...[​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Glad that she is back. Time to get out the binoculars and spy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i free range mine and a few days ago one of mine dissapeared i sware she got picked up by something but no feathers... i looked everywhere so i fed them there she was then she dissappered again.. fed them again there she was so i followed her to her "hidden" nest it was under our chicken coop deck where i thought no bird could fit under [​IMG] go figure
    im happy shes still alive..
    and good luck finding her nest.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    She hasn't left the ducky flock since she found her way back. I know she lays elsewhere, but still wants to be with her buddies.

Can you spot the mallard? Dang near invisible!
    [​IMG]

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    She's missing again this morning. Is it normal or ok for the eggs to be left alone for so long if she is sitting on them?

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    The eggs will be ok. She is laying her clutch until she has enough and will eventually be GONE FOR a while until she hatches them. I would LOVE to know where she is going. If I lived close to you, we could set up camp and take shifts and watch her. [​IMG]

Please keep us posted daily. You should start a blog about her. [​IMG]

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    [[[[[.......she should of known better........]]]]]]

Seriously? Did you explain that to her in words she could understand?

Why should she know that she shouldn't go to places she could easily go to. Did you walk her around and point out the boundary to her? Safe on this side, not safe on that side? Did you quiz her to make sure she understood?

It's bad enough when people think that other people will read their minds and just do whatever the secret thoughts tell them. (My mother did that. "If you really loved me, you'd just know what I want and I wouldn't have to tell you"). Animals are not going to read your mind and do what you think they should do. They are going to do what animals do.

If you keep poultry, it is your responsibility to keep them safe. If you do not keep them in housing that will safely contain them, they are going to get out. They aren't going to "know better".

10. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:i agree [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by