1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mallard Hen or is she Rouen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckdad, Dec 18, 2011.

1. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    I did'nt get the pics posted when everyone was trying to describe the physical appearance of one or the other...so here she is...she took a flight around the house again tonite when she got bored waiting on her dinner...I heard the flapping but did'nt realize it was my "economy sized duck" until she did a face-plant next to me on the floor...
    Its not a big deal knowing exactly what she is, I'm just curious and wondered just where the line was regarding who can fly, how much and what to expect. My drake is rouen from his size, so is his crested princess. They're both big birds but they fly too.....not nearly as agile as Chicky but they can get where they want to be..
    So, can anybody tell by the pics if shes more mallard or rouen or something inbetween? Do true mallards have any characteristics besides their looks?

Shes an adult too...shes spent more time flattened out on the floor lately than the rug has....

[​IMG]

Shes got a very sweet disposition for a farm raised bird that was 3 or 4 mts old when first handled (bought by me)

[​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If she's grown in that pic, then its a Mallard.

3. duckdad

Dec 4, 2011
    Yep...shes fully grown. I've had her 3 mnts and she has not grown any...She's filled in her feathers real well. She was so tattered and ragged when I got her from being penned with big ducks that she looked like she'd been fighting (and loosing) everyday.

My "economy duck".

Guess I can forget about ever placing her in the pen with the big ducks...oh well.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Looks like a mallards to me

5. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Her feet aren't black and webbed like my mallards. Can someone explain that one to me? I'm perplexed. [​IMG]

6. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I have never seen a true Rouen fly.

7. duckdad

Dec 4, 2011
    this one flys like a bird.....(no pun)

8. cmr

cmr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I am relieved not to be the only one wondering if Rouens can fly. The ore tie goes by the better these 2 ducks get at flying. We found 1 of them on a neighbors roof earlier this week This morning the flew as high as my house and at least the length of 1/2 acre. they looked like they were meant to fly & graceful.

All these pics were taken the same day approximately 2 weeks ago. They are at least 3 months old.. What do you think they are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    CMR, your duck looks like the duck in my current avatar. She's a hybrid mallard cross with I don't quite know what. She doesn't seem to be able to fly, though.

10. cmr

cmr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Quote:A hybrid mallard cross is possible. I was buying ducks for pets initially. I bought them from our local farm & tractor supply store. According to the staff person all the ducks were to be plain black ducks. I ended up with the 2 pictured above, 1 blue Swedish, blue (gray) Runner & 1 gray mixed ???? She is in one of the pictures above. So far the opinion is a Runner/Swedish mix. Her bill is really odd looking to me. All the duck can fly except the Runner who tries & catches a few inches off the ground, the mix may fly 10-15 ft,= and Swedish 20ft. Of course my Mallards / Rouens are experts compared to the others.

Do you have any other ducks or poultry? We also have guineas who fly. Maybe the reason the others try out their wings?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by