Mallard hen with injured leg

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
My Mallard hen, June Bug, Junie, was attacked by a dog this afternoon.
I knew the dog was prey driven, but didn't realize she had escaped from her pen. The dog didn't grab her, she managed to fly away before he was able to get her, but she did injure her leg in the landing/during the chase.
That was the worst of it luckily, her only other injury is a very very shallow puncture which I flushed and covered in pain free Aquaphor healing ointment. I couldn't seem to find my Neosporin.
I have her in a wire crate within the duck coop which she is happy about. It doesn't seem like she wants to put any/much weight on the injured leg. She uses her wings to support her for the most part. I didn't find any swelling or heat in the leg, though maybe that will take a bit more time to show up? In the past I've treated sprains by limiting activity, is that all I need to do on this one? Or is there more to it? Thanks for the help, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right to get her on the mend soon. She doesn't like being in the cage, and is afraid of me so human contact is very stressful for her.

So sorry about your hen. Rest is definitely the best way to go. I would give the leg a thorough look over. Sometimes I find it very helpful to feel the healthy leg or another bird to compare. You may find it swelling the next day. If you find that it is swelling, you can Epsom salt compress on it. In really bad cases, I also will give an anti-inflammatory to help.

You can also give her deeps baths to let float, taking weight off the injury. The deep bath will also help with rehab with leg under less stress. Depending on the injury, it may take more time than others.

So sorry about your hen. Rest is definitely the best way to go. I would give the leg a thorough look over. Sometimes I find it very helpful to feel the healthy leg or another bird to compare. You may find it swelling the next day. If you find that it is swelling, you can Epsom salt compress on it. In really bad cases, I also will give an anti-inflammatory to help.

You can also give her deeps baths to let float, taking weight off the injury. The deep bath will also help with rehab with leg under less stress. Depending on the injury, it may take more time than others.
Got it, thank you!
I'll give it a look tomorrow, I looked at immediately after the attack, so I would imagine it would take a bit longer to swell/show heat.
I can do baths too. The hardest part is that she is very afraid of people. I'd be nervous that if I put a tote in there for her to bathe in, it would be really stressful/problematic to get her back out. Plus, her trying to scramble out of a raised tote is probably not good for her leg. :hmm
Thanks for the help! I'll update tomorrow to see if theres any swelling. She's relaxing somewhat for now.

She's doing much better today! Last night she was standing, and today she was pacing her crate when I changed her food and looked great! I couldnt' tell if she was still limping or not in such a small space, but there is major improvment. Doesn't seem to be any swelling or heat in her leg, I think she'll be good to go in no time. :)

She's doing much better today! Last night she was standing, and today she was pacing her crate when I changed her food and looked great! I couldnt' tell if she was still limping or not in such a small space, but there is major improvment. Doesn't seem to be any swelling or heat in her leg, I think she'll be good to go in no time. :)
Awesome! That is great to hear. It is amazing what a little bit of rest can do for them.

Back
Top Bottom