mallard in respiratory distress any ideas what to do??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by valley ranch, Aug 20, 2013.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a female mallard about 3yo.
    Eating normally (flock raiser and fortified grit)
    I put her in the coop tonight 6pm and she ate her dinner and was fine.
    About 1/2hr ago I heard funny noises and went out to find her in respiratory distress. She is gasping for air, opening her mouth with every breathe and there is a wheezing noise that is becoming slightly liquid sounding. Her chest heaves with each breathe.
    Her eyes are sparkly and clear. Her nostrils were clear until she just tried to drink and sneezed it out her nose. She is sitting and or standing normally.
    Pooed normally too.
    I looked down her throat as much as I could but couldn't see anything.
    We worm her regularly.
    No changes to her coop, or food. No new critters. I muck the coop daily.
    I am thinking maybe she is choking on something and wondering if there is something I can do for her. Like the heimlich maneauver or something??
    I tried offering her a pea, which is her favorite treat, she took it but spat it out. I currently have her in a cage in the kitchen with her mate, who is not bothering her. She stresses horribly without him.
    She tries to drink and blow bubbles out her nose, and ends up sneezing.
    Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

2. valley ranch

she seems to have managed to clear her airway herself. She has stopped wheezing and is now breathing more normally. And spending alot of time blowing in the water. Although she is still coughing and sneezing every few minutes.
    I have been researching what to do for a choking bird and found this and thought it could be helpful.

"If you even imagine your bird has aspirated you should seek veterinary care immediately,” Vaughn said. “Most likely radiographs will be performed to attempt and localize the substance in the air sacs or respiratory tree.”Vaughn said in his opinion it is wrong to use a cotton swab to attempt to remove the object causing the choking. Instead, when a bird obviously aspirates, such as a when a baby bird starts choking on formula during a hand-feeding procedure, he recommends gently turning the bird upside down without restraining its head. This allows gravity and the bird’s natural jaw manipulations to dislodge the object. Since birds don’t have a diaphragm separating the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity, one can’t perform the standard Heimlich maneuver that is used for a choking human. However, if it is suspected that a bird has inhaled a seed hull or a small object that has entered the trachea (windpipe), you can still attempt to dislodge it by carefully, but quickly, performing a short inward compression of the keel, with the bird being inverted. Seek veterinary assistance immediately following the performance of this maneuver." (http://www.birdchannel.com/Diagnostics/Details.aspx?Body=Throat&Symptom_Id=98&Condition_Id=115)

my fingers are crossed my girl will be ok without any interference from me. I will keep them where they are for the night so she can relax and hopefully continue to improve.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Sounds like your Girl's a Lucky Girl! Thanks for posting the info with the link.

4. valley ranch

thanks!!
    it seemed hard to find info on what to do for a choking duck :)
    This morning she is quacking pretty hoarsely and not as much as usual but she has eaten and laid an egg!! And is keen to get outside. She still coughs so I hope it is just inflammation and not still an obstruction. We'll see.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thank you for the info on that link and glad to hear she is doing much better, what ever it was probably caused some inflammation. If you have some ACV put some into their drinking water it is really good stuff.

6. valley ranch

What is ACV?
    Today she is still coughing a little but happy and acting normally.
    whew

7. valley ranch

ACV = apple cidar vinegar right??
    how does that help? for the inflamation. I remember reading about it before but don't recall what I was reading about

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has instructions on clearing an obstructed airway. It involves half inch rubber tubing like they use in hospitals. I need to turn in now, and cannot recall the details, but wanted to offer what little I recall, for future reference.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by