Mallard Incubating Stress

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Saigey, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Saigey

Saigey In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Trying to get the temp/humidity right to get ready for my rescue mallard to pip into the air cell. I think it might have gotten too hot at one point but not for very long. Mostly under temperature if anything. 97° F while I was trying to adjust humidity. I put a clean water diffuser in there and that helped with humidity, but the egg movement slowed, so I removed it. It doesn't seem to be moving inside and just won't pip that air cell. Meanwhile, I'm pulling my hair out, worried that I've somehow murdered a duck embryo. A light showing through the air cell (you can only see through the air cell) doesn't show any ruptured blood vessels.

2. The Farmers' Daughter

The Farmers' Daughter Crossing the Road

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    Chances are it's resting, building up its strength in preparation for the hatch.

If you've never hatched ducks before, don't freak out if it takes over 24 hours. They're slow to hatch and then zoom! They grow like weeds and are full of energy.

Good luck!

Saigey likes this.
  3. Saigey

Saigey In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Thank you SO much for your reply! I have indeed been freaking out. I've never even thought about hatching before. This has been a rescue from abandoned nest. The other two failed to develop. If he (it) hatches, I plan to get him companions, but the big "if" is making me go grey haired.

4. The Farmers' Daughter

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    Lol.
    The humidity doesn't have to be exact. Just within range.
    First hatches are always stressful. Just sit back, watch and be totally awed.

Saigey likes this.
  5. Saigey

Saigey In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Thanks again! I think I've finally got a satisfactory temp and humidity range, so I'm doing my best to take your advice lol. Over the past month I've learned so much about duck embryos, I swear. The other two didn't develop, so I'm really rooting for this little one. He's made it this far, just a little more to go!

The Farmers' Daughter likes this.
  6. The Farmers' Daughter

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    Keep me posted, but don't worry, it's going to take quite a while.

Saigey likes this.
  7. Saigey

Saigey In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    I decided he didn't like something about the water diffuser, so I removed it and added more damp squares of cut up towels. I also changed the bulb from a 65 watt track light to a 75 watt bulb made for heating. The red is supposed to reduce stress for them, anyway. I'm going to monitor the humidity and otherwise try and leave the poor little baby alone lol. Thanks for your advice!

The Farmers' Daughter likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Temp should be around 99.5 and still air is around 101
    Humidity needs to be about 70% so the membrane doesn't dry out during lockdown..

Saigey likes this.
  9. Saigey

Saigey In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    We're pretty close to that. Temp is around 98°F and humidity is about 65%. Once pipping FINALLY happens I plan to bump up the humidity a little.

10. Saigey

Saigey In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Okay I do not like the way this looks. Do I poke rescue holes? Help!!!

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: