Mallard is Being Ornery...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by juniverse, Feb 8, 2015.

1. juniverse

juniverse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2013
    My house duck, a Mallard (female and looks like it's in a break of laying eggs), is being super ornery and she HATES me. LOL.

She gets super puffy and starts quacking loudly. When my BF comes around he calms her down and she's fine.
    When my BF leaves the room and she's here with just me she calls for him LOUDLY!

To explain before this behavior, she's always preferred my BF because he's here with her everyday and always preferred his company. But she loved hanging out with me when I am home from work and even slept by my bed at nights or by my feet while on the couch just with me. She never acted angry towards me.

As of now I am trying to win her over with treats. She still comes over to eat out of my hands but is still defensive... Once she get's her food she get's loud and angry again. I am trying to leave her alone and pass by her nonchalantly and not touch her. I try to calmly talk to her and sing despite her quacking crazily at me.

How can I win back the love of my beloved Mallory? :-(
    If she can't stop we may have to give her away! And that's the last thing I want to do.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds like broody behavior. It also sounds as if she regards your boy friend as her mate.

3. juniverse

juniverse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2013
    How do I stop her from being broody? She made a nest out of cloth and she's very defensive. She gets out to eat because we coax her but she's nesting for no reason since her eggs are not fertilized. I just want her to stop being loud Lol love her to bits!

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    id recommend either removeing her from the nest for about 3 day to a week

or get a male she will go to the male maybe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by