Mallard is Coughing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by juniverse, Dec 19, 2016.

1. juniverse

juniverse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    My female Mallard is coughing and has a soar voice when she talks for the past 5 days. She was been molting heavily for the past week and her water dishes are heavy with down feathers. She's been drinking a lot of water too which is good.

So far I have been giving her feed, lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries.

Any other suggestions to help her feel better.
    I will take her to the vet later this week but I can't go right away due to work.

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Any eye, or nose excretions, is she limping, not as active? What do mean sore voice? Scratchy, higher, or lower pitched?

3. juniverse

Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks for replying Bills vs Beak.

No eye boogers, nose boogers, or limping. Just slight sluggish walking because she's so worn out from molting. Molting has always been rather suckish for her.

High voice has a lower pitch and isn't as shrill like she normally is.
    She coughs and sneezes often.

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    How cold is it by you? I looked at your profile pic and see palm trees, so I'm gonna guess, not very lol
    Maybe get her some feather fixer feed(gave that to my rescued rooster, he was a bit beat up, it seemed to help. It was just called feather fixer, by purina, I think)
    Or maybe high quality cat kibble, its recommended for show birds, to help feathers.
    I don't know if all that will help the coughing though...maybe just the hard molts...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  5. juniverse

Nov 3, 2013
    She also gets to walk anywhere in my house all day. She is an indoor house duck and she get's about room temperature and sleeps in an extremely large open dog kennel with a fluffy pet bed and clean towels.... with a TV Monitor inside it... She's very spoiled.

6. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    So cold is a nonissue[​IMG]
    Did you see my edit to my last post?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I don't know for sure if this would help, but one of my ducks was sneezing and had bubbly eyes and I used a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water to dip her head in. It seemed to help. [​IMG]

8. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Buy some vet Rex antibiotic water solution. Give just once a day and if symptoms get worse and she gets real sluggish the next method is tylan injections. If u need further help let me know. Just went thru the same bug with my chickens and ducks. Cured them up in a about a week.

1 person likes this.
  9. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Also if she is molting real bad, black oil sunflower seeds are good for poultry in feather fixing.

1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A vet is best - she may have a respiratory infection, those are very serious.

For molting, which is not really an illness, I still give a little bit of good quality dry cat kibble for the extra protein and some vitamins. I also give some in the winter when there are no worms available.

Some vets miss the possibility of a fungal respiratory infection - usually aspergillosis, so ask about that.

Hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by