Mallard is sitting on a clutch in October?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Srbenda, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Srbenda

Srbenda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    One of our mallard hens has laid a large clutch of eggs, somewhere around 10 to 12, right next to the house, and is setting on them. She'll head down to the pond for brief stretches, but she's definitely sticking with it. As we can best figure, she's been on the nest for about 4 or 5 days, which means these will be in late October. I always thought they would go broody in springtime, so is this unusual?

Of course, we'll see how many actually hatch, and then I am worried about the cold temps that the ducklings will soon face here in PA.

Any thoughts?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mama will keep ducklings warm, but I'd try to move her to a safer place to brood than in the open without protection from preds. It could cause her to leave the nest but in the long run she'll be safer. This is an odd time to be broody but I have a chicken right now that swears she is and she isn't even laying.

3. Gone Quackers

Gone Quackers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Minnesota
    My mallards just started laying too! I've been told by a few people its because they are young and they dont know when to lay [​IMG] I don't know if thats true or not, but I sure know I was excited when I started finding eggs around the house!

4. Srbenda

Srbenda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Mine were born in late February, early March, so they are fairly young too.

5. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    One of my Mallard hens went broody on a clutch of 14 about a week ago. In an attempt to move her to a safe location, we ruined it, but she was born this year, too. I didn't expect any eggs this year either, and I've gotten a little over 2 dozen just from Fish! Not that I'm complaining or anything :)

6. FeatheredFreind

FeatheredFreind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    I have my first broody. She is a Speckled sussex and has only just started laying 3 weeks ago. She is sitting on 3 real eggs and 1 fake. She is in a nest 4 ft off the ground. I am going to wait til the end before i attempt to move her. I have been told that the chicks may hatch in 20 days with a broody. Anyone know this from experence?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your talking chicken now? or is your hen sitting on duck eggs? with a broody chicken I have seen eggs start to hatch on day 19 but that was in warm weather, I have moved on day 18 and also right after hatch.

8. FeatheredFreind

FeatheredFreind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    Miss Lydia
    Yes I was talking chickens in hopes someone would give me advise. Thank you but I no longer have to worry. The other chickens kept going in her nest laying eggs when she got up for break so she quit sitting then went missing for a week then I guess quit again. I tried hard to find her nest because I would see her in the yard every now and again but it was as if she knew I was watching to see where she was nesting. Never did find it or her until she eventually went back to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by