mallard limping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by valley ranch, May 17, 2011.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

So James our newly acquired mallard has a limp.
    He started limping about a week ago.
    He lives outside in the yard and sleeps in the coop. He also stands and walks with a real forward slope to his body but he has been doing this since we got him. Should we be worried?
    The limp seems better than it was a couple of days ago but still present.
    I cannot see any sore or wound or feel any break of deformation.
    [​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I wonder if it's a vitamin deficiency? He does look like he leans forward.Sorry,not sure about that but I'm sure someone on here can help! Nice looking duck with him too [​IMG]

3. valley ranch

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering the same thing so gave them a does of drench. I think I will keep doing that for a few days. I am trying to get him to eat different things but he isn't really interested. They only ever gave him flock raiser so he is a little wary of other food. Except peas. He likes peas.

4. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Double check the bottom of his feet again. I had a Rouen that was doing the same thing. I tried extra vitamins and it did not seem to help him. We scooped him up and cleaned his feet really good and after a closer inspection noticed he had what resembled a paper cut across one of his feet. After several weeks he finally went back to walking normal.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:My ducks are very finicky as well.They eat only a handful of treats...tomatoes,peas,strawberries,lettuce and grass clippings..dandelion greens,clover etc. But really...they won't eat bread....which I'm ok with since it's really junk food.I just give the old stale end pieces to the chickens but my birds don't get much bread at all.
    I'm not familiar with drench...is it a vitamin mix?

6. valley ranch

thanks all. I brough him in and (And Lily) and gave them a luke warm bath. I figured it would act like therapy. Then let them hang out on the kitchen floor to dry. It seemed to do him good. He walked better so maybe Ill do that for a few more days. After his bath I'll check his feet really well for little cuts. Thanks for that thought as I was looking for a big wound but with their litte (big) tender feet a little cut would hurt wouldn't it?
    I've read bread isn't good so I've been giving him peas. That so far is all he likes.
    Drench is a vitamen and mineral suppliment you add to the water. I have given it for 3 days now and he isn't getting worse. What is the best way to provide niacin for them?

Before we got him he had a mate that died. Could he still be pining for her? We got him Lily Duck but maybe he doesn't want to replace his other girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by