1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mallard mate

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jayjay123, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jayjay123

jayjay123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    So i got a pair of mallards the other day and was told they will mate for life but i was wondering if my other mallard hen will mate with my one drake or if she will just randomly mate with my other rouen,pekin,and mutt drakes.

2. duck4u

duck4u Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Only swans and sometimes goose, and parrots, mate for life.
    Ducks do not. I think pekins drakes will try to mate with a mallard hen since they're has been hybrids of mallard x pekin.
    I don't think she selects though, she will just mate with any random mallard/pekin (maybe) in breeding season.
    If a male tries to force himself on her, she will most likely try to run or even fly away, so its good to clip their wings too.

3. jayjay123

Aug 7, 2012
    Thanks What Do you think would happen if i put a rouen drake with a mallard hen.

4. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Pekin and Rouen drakes are both much too big to be mating with a Mallard hen. Mallard drake with a pekin/rouen hen, no problem. But a Pekin and/or Rouen drake is much too big to be mating with a Mallard hen. That will result in injury or death to your hen. If you want a Pekin/Mallard cross, get a Pekin hen and a Mallard drake.
    And yes, your Mallard drake will mate with more than one duck; don't worry about that! Sometimes they will favor a duck (mine did!), but he'll show up when it counts and try to protect them from other drakes.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. jayjay123

Aug 7, 2012
    thanks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by