Mallard Mix Drake with Muscovy Drake (Death)

Lschinaia

Hatching
Feb 7, 2015
Hi guys,

I found my Mallard/Pekin mix duck dead this morning. He was only 4 yrs old. I got him a companion last year after his older drake died at the ripe old age of 8. It is a Muscovy Drake. He is much larger than the Mallard Mix but they were getting along. I noticed a little dominance behavior but the Mallard didn't seem to mind, and was not showing any signs of illness. I had to remove their water tank because it was freezing over.

My question is, could the Muscovy Drake have crushed the Mallard? He was trying the mating behavior with him, but I don't want to paint my Muscovy as a killer. And should I get him another Muscovy so this won't happen again? I'm just really sad my Mallard is dead, he was a beautiful and lovely duck. I've owned and cared for chickens and ducks since I was 11 yrs old and never saw a duck die of no illness, old age, or predation.

I would like to know if you know what might have happened?

Well in order for your muscovy to be the culprit you've got to have evidence that he was crushed or maimed. What sort of symptoms did you see when you found him?

I'm sorry for your loss, but I would think getting your Muscovy a ducks at least the same size will be much better. As for if the Muscovy killed him hard to say, but Males can reach weights of up to and above 15 lbs so he may have accidentally. If they have lived together for some time I can't see the scovy doing it intentionally.
We caution members if they have small breed ducks to keep them from mating with the larger males because injuries and even death can happen but usually in water by drowning. .

Welcome to BYC

He was just in a laying position but no blood or signs of illness, he was really large just not as big as the Muscovy about regular Pekin size. He was very heavy, not thin or sickly. My Muscovy is about 12 lbs or so i cannot catch him to weigh him though last time I did he was very heavy. They have been living together since May of last year. There was a pecking order obviously but he was not missing feathers or being tormented again and again, just sat upon occasionally. I just don't want to blame my Muscovy (name: Albie cause he looks like an Albatross) but I'd like to avoid this in the future. I raised the Mallard since he was a tiny duckling, so it's very sad.

He was just in a laying position but no blood or signs of illness, he was really large just not as big as the Muscovy about regular Pekin size. He was very heavy, not thin or sickly. My Muscovy is about 12 lbs or so i cannot catch him to weigh him though last time I did he was very heavy. They have been living together since May of last year. There was a pecking order obviously but he was not missing feathers or being tormented again and again, just sat upon occasionally. I just don't want to blame my Muscovy (name: Albie cause he looks like an Albatross) but I'd like to avoid this in the future. I raised the Mallard since he was a tiny duckling, so it's very sad.
You may never know but I don't think we can label your Muscovy drake a murderer but when you do decide to introduce another duck to him do it slowly over the course of several days to a week trough temp fencing so they can get use to each other they will still establish a pecking order but being able to meet and greet separate will help to make it go smoother. It could have also been your duck just died of old age. So very sorry it is very heart breaking.

Thanks, I won't think ill of him. The duck could have gotten a chill and just didn't recover. Many variables. I think I'll contact the breeder I buy them from and ask if they have any larger Muscovy ducks for sale. I just wish I knew what happened.

Back
Top Bottom