Mallard or Pekin?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ineed2fly, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ineed2fly

ineed2fly New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    I've been wanting to get a pet duck for years, and finally going to go ahead and do it, but I'm not sure which would be a better choice. I'd imagine a mallard being a smaller duck is going to be a little bit less messy? But it mainly comes down to whether or not I would want a flighted bird. I'm a paraglider pilot, and would LOVE to be able to fly with my duck. Theres a pilot in Hawaii that rescued a baby mallard after a storm and does exactly that. When the duck gets tired he lands and sits on top of the pilots helmet, pictures attached. The only reason why I wouldn't want a flighted bird is obviously being afraid of it flying away on me. So, is it terribly difficult to train a duck to not fly away? From what I've heard most of the time they imprint and will stay with you. It would just be so sad to lose him. If I got a pekin I could build a harness for him and fly with him (I have friends that do this with dogs) and that would almost be just as special, to take a flightless bird to the skies [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

Nick[​IMG][​IMG]

2. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    little duck does not mean less mess by any means lol.
    they will be equally messy .
    and ducks ae much happier in pairs.

3. ineed2fly

ineed2fly New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Haha, I see, and I'm not opposed to a pair. The main issue is just about what training is required to keep a flighted bird from flying away?

4. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I have mallards and mine have never shown an interest in flying away. A couple times they have gotten a little over-zealous and flown over my house.. but then they realize they're mistake and come running back to me.
    Now I clip their wings once a year to keep them on my side of the fence.
    I would go Mallard over Pekin, but that's just my own personal preference. Or you could get one of each and they would be BFF. The Mallard would stay with the Pekin and give you more security that he wouldn't fly away.

5. ineed2fly

ineed2fly New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Is there anything extra you can do to train them to stay, or will they just imprint on their own?

6. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I've never done anything special. They just know this is their home. Ducks are pretty food motivated. They have food they have water.. no reason to leave.

Others might have had other experiences, but that's mine.
    Oh - I can also tell you, I live in the city.. And mine stay in the yard. Except when they get a little over-zealous. And then they're freaking out trying to get back to me.

7. Roark

Roark Out Of The Brooder

Quote:

OMG, I almost fell off of my chair on that one. Being the proud pappa to three new mallards I heartily concur. Our ducks are making the new chicks 2nd class citizens they are so cute, but messy? HOLY COW! Just replaced ALL of their bedding for the third time today, and by tomorrow morning it will be a swamp again. They are absolutely amazing though and we all love 'em. We went with the mallards to start mainly in hopes of acquiring better mothers for the the other breeds that we'd like to try.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Try putting a puppy pad under their water dish. I found it a little easier to clean up that way.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    First off, if you get ducklings from a hatchery, you are very unlikely to get a real Mallard. Mallards are bantam ducks and hatcheries generally don't sell bantams. Most likely, you will get a generic medium sized gray duck. I have no idea whether or not they can fly.

My best guess is that the 'rescued" Mallard in the photos is a wild Mallard. Not quite the same thing as a domestic Mallard. To fly like that, you will need a bird that is migratory.

Both Pekin and Mallards are nice ducks. I suggest that you get the one whose looks appeal to you the most, because either one will be lovely to have around. Pekins fly about as well as a lump of cement, but they have nice personalities.

You will get a closer tighter bond with a goose. If you can just find a breed of goose that is a strong flier, perhaps get a permit to keep a wild Canada.

Muscovy ducks are supposed to be good fliers.

10. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    ducks can be trained with food rewards. and if you get it as a baby, spend as much time as possible with it so it thinks your part of its flock and it wont want to fly away into the sunset unless your going into the sun set with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by