Mallard or Rouen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Red, May 28, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Ashton picked these up at TSC back around Easter. I'm thinking these are Mallards, but they're so big? Just recently heard of Rouens... and I think it's a male/female from her descriptions. She said one quacks like crazy and the other barely peeps, usually is whistling though. They're two months, however long ago that makes it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the supposed male.

[​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    You have a pair of mallards!

3. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

Has he/she got a curly tail feather if so male if not female, probably depending on if she/he has come into full feather. Looks like a rouen to me but i am no expert.

4. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    According to her, no. I haven't seen these guys since they were about a week old. I will be getting them from her soon because she's 8 months preggo and is worried she'll not have time for them.

5. taras.farm

taras.farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Eastern Ontario
    they are rouens...check out mine on my site...
    boys will have green heads and curly tail feather.
    Awwww...sad shemight not find time....Tell her I think she can do it....2 is easier...but find a good home if she needs too....
    send them to me!!!

6. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    The "male" has green feathers coming in on his head from what she just told me. I'll be getting them before next month to babysit for a bit while she settles in so I will know for sure I guess.

7. taras.farm

taras.farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Eastern Ontario
    enjoy them...they are great ducks...quiet,well behaved and quick learners!...ohh and excellent layers! have fun and good wishes for the mamma to be!

8. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    You're making me want to hatch eggs if they're fertile now. [​IMG] she hasn't started laying yet but I sure hope so before/if she gets them back.

I will tell her you send congrats.

9. Happyflower

Happyflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    I think the first picture is of a male because of the black line near it's beak will continue to change to his green head. They are rouen though, 100% sure, way too big for mallads

10. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I couldn't remember which picture she said was the male, I just know she sent me a million pictures and I picked the best ones for showing off.

Again, I'm super excited to babysit now. Time to read up on the breed so I know what they like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by