Mallard pair?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hebertchick12, Nov 11, 2014.

1. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    Mallards are 2 months old. I know the one with the white ring is definitely a male. That one also has a lot of green on its head.
    We are uncertain of the other one. It is feathering in just like the male; however has an orange bill and no white ring. Its back is getting darker and has less consistent patterning. The male actually has more female-looking pattern on its back. Neither one quacks either.

Purchased them to hopefully have two females for egg laying, so if they are males I want to sell them soon so that I may purchase some hens. That is why I am trying to figure this out sooner, rather than just wait it out the next couple of months.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You have a drake and a duck. Mallards tend to be seasonal layers and will lay a clutch and go broody. You may want to consider another breed if egg production is your goal.

3. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    Thanks @sourland
    We have chickens for eggs, but wanted two ducks just to try duck eggs every now and then. They aren't our main source for eggs. And my husband likes mallards, so that is what we went with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by