Mallard Question (New Picture)

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
Are the first feathers that mallards grow in all like the female, and then they change as they get older or do the male mallards start out with the green head and normal coloration? Mine was hatched around the first of July and it is beginning to look like a female mallard. I was just wondering when you can tell what sex it is???

Last edited:
They all have the female coloration at first, as I recall.
smile.png

from what i was told (don't hold me to it) they will look like females (but will have a drake feather) 2 seasons.. fall and spring and and like a drake the other 2 seasons. but i don't know for sure!!!!

anyone know for sure?? i have 2 mallards that i got right after my babies were hatched and i am still clueless on gender. as far as i know i have 2 girls

daegorn - Do you have a larger picture of yours. Someone rescued the one I have from inside the local airport and I thought it was wild - but Bird Rescue here in Alaska told me it is not... wings are too small. I'm just wondering what a tame Mallard duckling looks like just so I have something to compare this little guy to. I got him around the 8th of July and he was about a week old. He has most of his feathers now. A large picture of yours would be appreciated. Mine is very quiet with just little chirping sounds that are very pleasant. I have been letting him swim in the tub with one of my female runners - she is not to interested in him, but he wants to be friends. He swims circles around her and then keeps diving under her over an over again. I'm also wondering how their size compares to a runner - I am hoping when he is full grown he will join my 6 runners.

Last edited:
Their first feathers are all brown like a female. However, at about the age you're talking about, the males will start to get a yellow or green bill and the females will usually get more orange or retain their baby blue bill. Also, the females will tend to get a loud quack where the males will have a lower tone. But, sometimes they don't talk much at that age, so it's hard to tell that way.

Sometimes, I've noticed that the wild males will start to get some green feathers as young as 4 weeks, but they almost immediately molted, so you might miss them.

I've seen males get "their colors" as young as 4 or 5 months old depending on the season and location. Males also go through a special molt where they shed their green feathers and look like females, except they have a rust-colored chest. I believe the juvenile ones go through this phase right before they get their green heads.

How interesting. He/she is very interesting to watch - and is growing fast. I notice a little white coming in now at the bottom part of the wings. I see a little dark area that I think is going to be that blue colored patch. I notice that her/his head is getting darker on top, but she/he is losing her down up there too. Will the mallard be larger or smaller than my runners???

that is a female males will get a white ring around there neck by the age it looks this 1 is but will take longer for the green head

buy is she fluffy or did she shake as you took the pic?

Back
Top Bottom