mallard rescue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stargirl, Jun 15, 2011.

1. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Yesterday I got a phonecall from my Mum to say there were some ducks in trouble outside her office. A mum and 7 chicks were trying to cross a dual carriageway. She'd watched them try for over an hour, and it seemed they'd been there a lot longer. It was really really hot and the mum kept sitting down, then jumping up when buses or big vans went by, and the chicks were struggling to keep up with her.

My Mum called me because the RSPCA had refused to help.
    I went down with a cat carrier and some chicken food. I don't really know much about ducks - I'm a chicken girl, myself! - but I knew she would be trying to get her family to water, and that her mate would already have left. I was really worried that she and the chicks were far too tired to finish their journey, even if we could help them to cross the road. Besides small garden ponds, it was still over a mile to the nearest body of water.

We managed to catch the Mum using food and a net - I think it was testament to how exhausted she was that she didn't even try to fly away. Then we gathered the chicks together (and counted to make sure we had them all!) and put them in with her. Mum seemed to calm down once she had her chicks in the box with her.

After some thought, I drove home and released them into the brook behind my house. I know there was a mating pair of ducks there in previous years, although they're not around this year. I'm hoping this means there is enough food to sustain the family, and a safe place to sleep.

Hopefully this is a happy ending for the little family. I was worried about releasing them somewhere new, but it was impossible to be sure where she was headed and I felt certain that leaving them to finish the journey themselves would have been sending them to their death. Do you think I did the right thing? Or at least, an ok thing?

A colleague recorded the release on her iphone - http://youtu.be/MGJA0l057G0

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    YOU DID GREAT! Good job.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree, you did wonderfully! You found a solution with minimal human interference. If you'd like, you can also put out a little feed for them to get them started if they're still around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by