Mallard Seizing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by XinnKoda, May 21, 2010.

1. XinnKoda

XinnKoda New Egg

May 21, 2010
    We have a baby mallard duck who we rescued from the highway yesterday. Two of the 5 have already died, the first one didn't make it through the night and the second died earlier today after acting very lethargic. We are on the right food and they have access to plenty of water. We keep them indoors in a warm environment with heat lamps. The ducks are only a couple days old by estimate. One of the ducklings acts as if it is having a seizure, it will look straight up in the air and fall backwards and kick violently and flop around on the ground. This started happening earlier today but the episodes are happening more often now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please respond back or call me at 801-641-1253. I don't think she is gonna make it much longer.

Thanks in advance.

2. XinnKoda

XinnKoda New Egg

May 21, 2010
    I wasn't sure what to do so I decided to add a little bit of sugar to her water, thinking her blood sugar was too low. She was seizing so much I was not able to get her to drink. I eventually took a syringe with some sugar-water in it and opened her mouth and squirted it in. After doing this several times and waiting around I'm happy to report her seizures have almost completely stopped. Now my question is, am I supposed to regularly give her sugar water? Or was this just a freak thing? I also have all three of them on Niacin, mixed 125 mg per 1 gallon of water. Please let me know what I need to do.

Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by