mallard sexing question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by valley ranch, Apr 21, 2011.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

We just adopted a mallard drake. He lost his mate and was lonely so we took him and are planning on getting him a girl. We think we have found him one but she is only 7 weeks old and we would like to get some idea on how to make sure she is female. So are there any ways to identify sex at this age?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Luna9

Luna9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    From what I know about Mallards is its really hard to sex them till they are feathering. Then again if you can hear them both "quack" I know that male and females make slightly different noises but not sure how old they are before that starts happening either. Good luck!

3. valley ranch

thanks, the person we are getting her from says "she is already feathered her chest and under belly the signature brown female mallard brown colouring" does that sound right?

4. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    At 7 weeks you may look at the head for any green coloring. I know even though the head is long for going green, there should still be some evidence of it being green if it's a male. If there is not, it's a female. Females usually have more purplish looking speculums too, rather than a true blue. At 7 weeks, she would have some of that by now, even a little. Also, she will have more of a loud quack, rather than a quieter raspy noise.

5. valley ranch

thanks. We will check her over before we bring her home.
    At only 7/8weeks should we wait a little before introducing them or do it straight away? I really have no idea how little this girl is going to be. This is our first foray into ducks. Pogo is a very small boy. I am not sure how old but certainly mature. Not to mention a lonely boy too.
    We have the brooder for our chickens so can put her in there if necessary. If she is not fully feathered I am guessing like the chickens she will need to be kept in the warm. Time to do some research I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by