Mallard Update | Day 15 Candling | Movement & Pictures!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheMallardMan, Oct 16, 2014.

1. TheMallardMan

TheMallardMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Today was the Day 15 (Week 2) candling. In my last update, 5/7 of the eggs were fertile, but I left the 2 bad eggs in there just in case they were late bloomers.
    Got really good results in this candling, all 5 of the fertile eggs still had living embryos in them, and some of them were even moving! Here are the pics

Egg #1
    [​IMG]
    This was one of the 2 infertile eggs. Should I just ditch it already?

Egg #2
    [​IMG]
    This one was moving!

Egg #3
    [​IMG]
    Probably my best picture. You can see (what I think is) one of the ducklings legs

Egg #4
    [​IMG]
    This one was a little harder to see

Egg #5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Egg #6
    [​IMG]
    This one was a little smaller than the others, that's why I had to hold it here

Egg #7
    [​IMG]
    I'm not even sure if there was a yolk in this one

Just one question this week, when should I start to mark the air sac? I know you should do this before lock-down so you'll know where they'll pip.

Stay tuned, week 3 candling pics will come soon, hopefully followed by "The Hatchening"

2. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm looking forward to updates! I'm still debating on hatching a few ducklings. I'm sure I will give in sooner or later lol. Egg 1 I personally would toss. It doesn't look like it's had any development and since it's day 15... It looks like an undeveloped yolk to me. And I agree about #7. It doesn't look like it has a yolk in it. Did it look like that all the way around it? I had eggs that didn't develop that looked like that from one side but had a yolk showing on the other. Congrats on seeing movement!! It always excited and fascinated me [​IMG]

3. TheMallardMan

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Thanks! And yes i checked both of them, no development at all

4. Sustained

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Bummer! [​IMG] At least you have the others developing so nicely!

5. TheMallardMan

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    I know right? I was so excited to see feet! :weee

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  6. Sustained

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Is this your first time incubating? I know exactly the excitement your talking about. The first time I saw movement I was like a little kid with a king size chocolate bar LOL literally-->[​IMG]and [​IMG]

7. TheMallardMan

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Yes this is my very first time. And you're right, I giggled like a kid in a candyshop :D

8. Sustained

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Hope you have better luck with your first than I did! I'll be rooting for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by