1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Mallard vs. Rouen-- The Debate Continues!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dusky Beauty, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    It's an old story in duck-keeper land.
    Duck mom goes to feed store to buy oyster shell.
    Duck mom looks at the birds in the brooder next to the oyster shell.
    Duck mom sees ducklings on sale for $2.50.
    Duck mom has 2 duckies the same age already in the brooder at home.
    Duck mom picks out 4 more duckies.
    [​IMG]

So I selected from the peeping masses; 2 Blue swedish (I love blues! these guys had cute spots of dark blue on blue fuzz!), 1 black swedish, and 1 that I thought may be a rouen because Hubby liked the stripes.
    They were all hatchery choice and came from an undisclosed New Mexico Hatchery that was *not* Privett (they were VERY clear on that, I gather there's some bad blood at that feed store.)
    I can't seem to rule out either mallard or rouen from this 6 week old+ duckling, but I suspect mallard. If she were a Rouen, she would have to be a runty one. She's smaller than my Harlequin ducklings of the same age and her legs seem thinnest out of the lot, so I suspect she may be bred to be top heavy (and a flyer.)
    A runty rouen is still possible I suppose, I've kind of written off that I won't know for sure unless I see her fly in earnest. Anyone have any other ideas I could apply to try to determine? I'm going to clip her wing when she grows out feathers before she gets the chance to try flying.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Two eyestripes and a more flattened forehead usually means Rouen or a hybrid. Pure mallard ducklings are very tiny as day olds. It might be either. You'll see as they get older, especially by the time they're three to four months old. Pure mallards are small and trim.

ETA: I've also noticed that Rouen ducklings tend to stand up straighter than mallards when they are very young.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Where are the.pics [​IMG] im waiting [​IMG]

4. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Here is a full body shot; they were hatched the first week of september.

[​IMG]

Head shot
    [​IMG]

The ducky in question with her bevy: thats a welsh harly on the right and a blue swede on the left
    [​IMG]

Now I do have an extremely runty campbell, so I don't want to rule out this duck out based on size alone.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Rouen, neck and bill and too thick/bulky to be a mallard.

6. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Thanks! that's great news for her! I'm afraid if she was a mallard she'd be on the short list for freezer camp.

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think you have a hybrid, possibly Rouen-mallard. May or may not be able fly when grown. If it can fly, it won't be able to fly much or very high.

You might also have a girl, too, but it might take a few more months to be sure.

8. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Are there hatcheries that breed hybrids? the only ones I've ordered from myself are Metzer and Ideal and they definitely don't.

I vent sexed all those ducklings when I brought them home and they all seemed to be females (the harlies were mail order and came sexed) and thus far the insanely loud quacks and peeps (yeah, they're already starting to quack!) seem to confirm that. I'm actually kind of dissappointed. My first couple batches of ducklings were all sexed females, then I ordered a straight run. No boys. Then I figured clearance ducks would be riddled with males and the girls would be high graded out. Nope. STILL hens.
    Must be something in the water! [​IMG]:celebrate

The only boy I've got is a crippled fella from a rescue and he's not catching anybody! HA!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  9. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    If that's the case, then you have a Rouen if the store got them from a commercial hatchery. Definitely not a pure mallard, that's for sure.

10. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Sorry to go off topic, but is vent sexing a duck difficult? And if it's not.... how do you do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by