Mallard with discolored speculum

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckman4450, Nov 23, 2014.

1. duckman4450

duckman4450 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2012
    My 1 year 3 month old mallard hen has recently developed a discolored speculum on her left wing. Her right wing still looks very good, though. She eats a lot of 18% chicken layer feed, cracked corn, peas, lettuce, minnows, and crickets. If it matters she was recently nearly killed by an owl, but has made a full recovery. She has also recently been making a lot of high pitched noises, like she is trying to clear her nostrils, only she isn't doing it in water, which could possibly be related, I am not sure. Does it sound like she could have a deficiency of something or be sick? Here are some pictures of her wings.

Right Wing (good one)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left wing (bad one)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. duckman4450

duckman4450 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2012

Ok, thanks I will do that. She had one very large wound on her breast very close to her right wing, as well as one in the middle of her breast that was centimeters away from ripping her neck

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I dont think anything is wrong with the wing maybe its just maturing still

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks buff goose guy I was sending duckman over to the Mallard thread because I saw you had been on there. Duckman she is one very lucky duck to survive an owl attack.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Ohh yes totally, while we have never had an owl attack here but we have had a good amount of hawks, only one mallard (that i know of) survived a hawk attack here and she was in our little hospital for a while, she had lost an eye to the hawk.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Glad she made it through the attack, I lost a bantam hen to a hawk last fall, it was heart breaking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by