mallard with dry skin on bill & feet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mara DuckMom, Dec 23, 2013.

1. mara DuckMom

mara DuckMom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    hi everyone,

I've recently noticed a few spots of dry skin on my male mallard's bill (only on one side, right where it meets up with the feathers on his face) and on the webbed part of both feet. It looks pretty minor, I don't see any areas that look very raw and definitely don't see any bleeding, it just looks like some dry white flakes. I understand that it's winter, he's always in the water, etc so I could definitely just be acting like my usual overprotective duck mom self, haha, but I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent it from getting any worse? Or maybe I shouldn't worry about it unless it seems to be getting bad?

I've done a little research and seen multiple posts about how you can use Neosporin on ducks and chickens as long as it doesn't have any extra pain reliever added in. I have the basic "classic" Neosporin on hand so I did put a tiny, tiny bit of it on the dry spot on his bill and it looks a little better. I haven't noticed any areas of dry or raw or irritated looking skin on the rest of his body. I'm just wondering if anyone else notices this on their ducks, if there's possibly an additional treat or type of food I can give him that could help moisturize his skin from the inside out or if I should just keep an eye on him and spot treat with the Neosporin if need be? thanks in advance for any hints, tips or advice anyone has! [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, it is not unheard of for ducks to have dryness on bills or feet.

I might dab a tiny bit of olive oil on the spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by