Mallard ???

lil'chickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
West Texas
Do you have to clip their wings to keep them from flying off? I guess I should have researched more before I went to the store. Such an impulsive shopper though. Especially when fuzzy butts are involved!!
idunno.gif

Mine can fly, and they do if I try to catch them, but they mostly just hang around my pond and the chicken run. If you clip their wings, they can't get away from predators. That's why I like mallards... they're the only breed I've raised that survived the coons, foxes, dogs, and coyotes.

If they hear me feeding the chickens, they come a running! They waddle like little keystone cops all the way from the pond to the coop, which is a pretty good distance. I don't know why they prefer walking and running to flying, but they do.

Kathy in Texas
www.CountryChickens.com

you'll have to clip their wings, and or build a pen, my ducks live in a large flight pen, so the mallards and calls can fly if they want to, but can't go anywhere

Does anyone know of a website on how to clip their wings? I plan to free range all my birds. We have 100 acres her and about 20 of that is cleared of brush. Our yard alone is 2 acres. I don't want to cage them if I don't have to.

With 100 acres and free ranging I would let them fly. I have a mallard/pekin drake 2 months old and he can get a inch off the ground briefly. When he gets older I am going to clip his wings to keep him in the yard, as I have neighbors that might not like him pooping in their yards. Duck poop is smelly and messy.

If you're going to let them freerange, don't clip their wings. If you do, the predators will get them. I've only got 7 acres here, but the coyotes, raccoons, and foxes are a big problem.

Just my two cents

Kathy in Texas
www.CountryChickens.com

Quote:
Agreed about clipping the wings! My Mallards stay here all through winter and they will come flying up to the barn to get feed!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom