Mallard ???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lil'chickies, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Do you have to clip their wings to keep them from flying off? I guess I should have researched more before I went to the store. Such an impulsive shopper though. Especially when fuzzy butts are involved!! [​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, you'll have to clip their wings.

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    OR, you can wait until they feather out and continually clip their feathers. [​IMG]

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Mine can fly, and they do if I try to catch them, but they mostly just hang around my pond and the chicken run. If you clip their wings, they can't get away from predators. That's why I like mallards... they're the only breed I've raised that survived the coons, foxes, dogs, and coyotes.

If they hear me feeding the chickens, they come a running! They waddle like little keystone cops all the way from the pond to the coop, which is a pretty good distance. I don't know why they prefer walking and running to flying, but they do.

Kathy in Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    you'll have to clip their wings, and or build a pen, my ducks live in a large flight pen, so the mallards and calls can fly if they want to, but can't go anywhere

6. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Does anyone know of a website on how to clip their wings? I plan to free range all my birds. We have 100 acres her and about 20 of that is cleared of brush. Our yard alone is 2 acres. I don't want to cage them if I don't have to.

7. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    if you raise them from when they are young then they will remember you and always stay close to home

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    With 100 acres and free ranging I would let them fly. I have a mallard/pekin drake 2 months old and he can get a inch off the ground briefly. When he gets older I am going to clip his wings to keep him in the yard, as I have neighbors that might not like him pooping in their yards. Duck poop is smelly and messy.

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    If you're going to let them freerange, don't clip their wings. If you do, the predators will get them. I've only got 7 acres here, but the coyotes, raccoons, and foxes are a big problem.

Just my two cents

Kathy in Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

10. SnapHappii

SnapHappii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Quote:Agreed about clipping the wings! My Mallards stay here all through winter and they will come flying up to the barn to get feed! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by