Mallard?

jreynolds24

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
I think this little baby is a mallard? After a very snarky run in with a feed store employee I didnt feel comfortable asking what she thought it might be.

and she told me I needed a pond if I wanted a duck, as well as "no such starter feed for ducks and chicks" which is funny I purchased a bag at another store...

It looks like one yea but it's stood really straight up haha, you'll soon find out though, the attract other mallards
At the farm where I do a college course we have some orphaned ducklings that a member of public brought it and because the other sucks can hear them they come waddling down to see them

I think this little baby is a mallard? After a very snarky run in with a feed store employee I didnt feel comfortable asking what she thought it might be.

and she told me I needed a pond if I wanted a duck, as well as "no such starter feed for ducks and chicks" which is funny I purchased a bag at another store...

Looks mallard to me even though it's standing so tall. But then again, runners are descended from mallards, they had to get that upright gene from mallards.

And about the feed store clerks? sigh. I have been through a few iterations of that kind of nonsense. Was told I would kill my ducklings by giving them chick grit, my ducks would be fine left outside all night, blah, blah. I try to remember that others have been patient with me when I mess up, and I cannot fix people. For advice I go to Holderread, Link, and the Duck Forum. Even a 4H instructor has told me things that, well, I disagree with strongly. Can't fix 'em, just let 'em be. I occasionally make exceptions and explain things, but then I get ignored.

Glad you are on the forum. Please keep us updated.

By the way. Is this your only duck?

Thank you:)
Yeah I only have one, not only did my husband say I can only have one ;) but one of my friends said that if you want them to be super friendly get one at a time. .. def found out why that was a bad idea! Poor baby peeped hysterically when I left her ... so now we are buddies.

A single duck is going to always peep like crazy when you leave it as you are its only friend. Unless you are going to be around all the time for it, it really really needs a friend.

Thank you:)
Yeah I only have one, not only did my husband say I can only have one
wink.png
but one of my friends said that if you want them to be super friendly get one at a time. .. def found out why that was a bad idea! Poor baby peeped hysterically when I left her ... so now we are buddies.
It's really no fair to the lil duckling either they really do better if more than 1..

I'm going to be getting a duck for my chicken soon
smile.png
gonna be a odd pair but it'll work,
Maybe not, what if your duckling is a drake? and your chicken a hen? that does not work because drakes will want to mate with hens and most of the time if he doesn't kill her[unintentionally of course] she will have severe internal injuries. Drake and Hens[chickens] are not made to mate.

They aren't going to mate, I'm not buying it mate I'm buying it so she has company, if it turns out to be male I have a place I can take him @Miss Lydia

Back
Top Bottom