Mallards anyone?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tdgill, Jan 24, 2013.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Looking for people and posts with mallards. I just adopted two ducks of the flying variety...lol.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I used to have one :) If you're going to let them free range or don't have a covered run, be sure to clip their wings! You don't want them flying off on you. One of mine did, so that was a lesson I learned the hard way. This is acorn, a mallard drake I used to have (not the one who flew away):

[​IMG]

3. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    I have the white flying kind! Thought they were pekins, turned out to be mallards when they stopped growing. I agree about the wing clipping. Mine are about halfway grown back
    and they are already "jump flying" over their wall, eager to explore. Such sillies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So cute! I think your little beauties are call ducks. There is such a thing as snowy mallards, but even they aren't all white like that. Either way, adorable!

5. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    I think all ducks are adorable! [​IMG]

6. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California

They are waaaaaay too big for calls. In some pictures they look like calls, in others mallards/ pekins. In real life they are definitely mallards. There are wild ones where I live and they are so close in size.

7. tdgill

i thought they were calls too....

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Glad I'm not the only one! I just didn't think white mallards existed.

9. tdgill

i did some googling and haven't seen any all white mallards yet....not to say they don't exist. :)

I certainly didn't expect to be in this situation myself - with flying ducks. lol. I do think it would be fun to have them flying about and but safe and staying here. I had to rethink things after the first one flew off. I just assumed "wild ducks" and almost sent the other one packing off to be with his mate. But I don't imagine they are wild in any way. Being raised in confinement....etc...

just wanted to add: to anyone reading this, I did manage to locate and catch the mallard hen that flew off. She is luckily safe and back with her fella. I have them in a 4 foot by 8 ft. bunny hutch at the moment. Hoping to make changes and give them a better environment soon. They seem quite content and are being chatty with my other ducks who stop by the hutch to visit them. My birds have access to the fenced in back yard all day and get locked up at nite, so eventually I'd like to integrate the two mallards and hopefully allow them free range as well. Clipped wing at least to start with. I'm just not sure if it is do-able or not. I don't want the bigger ducks ganging up on the mallards.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  10. roboboy

roboboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    I've got a few grays currently. Used to have whites and snowys at one time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by