Mallards are BACK

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AHappychick, Apr 15, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    my mallards are back this year I must see ducklings!!!

Ok so for the past few years I have had a pair of wild mallards come to live by my pond every spring/summer

the first year the female laid a nest in my razor grass (i think that's what it is called) I almost reached out and touched her not even seeing her since she had gone broody and was so well hidden. Not wanting the dog to disturb her and really excited to see a family of ducks raised on my land I put a small fence around her and ordered duck food. The day the duck food came I went out to feed her but found all the eggs eaten by a coon [​IMG]

I was not yet a chicken owner so I did not think of this happening till it was too late.

So the 2nd year when they came back I quickly ordered a small island with holes for planting and made a ducky island tethers to pavers I used as anchors. Well she liked it but at some point flipped it over [​IMG] before she began to set and I guess was PO-ed cause she left for the season.

Well they are back and I am going to try to make the island more stable this time, now that I have a bator I am going to have a very hard time not taking some eggs to hatch. I am not sure how I can make the island more stable though, is there a safer alternative to offer them a place to brood? They keep trying so hard and every year they loose their clutch before anything happens does anyone have any suggestions. Here is a pic of them I took yesterday when I saw that they had arrived

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    heres a pic from last year the island is in the left corner you can see it is the same duck [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Is there some kind of floats you can add to the edges? Some kind of pontoon set up maybe?

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh thats a good idea maybe a water noodle around the edges....

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    our the liqudi lundery soap conterns with the lid on the opening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by