Mallards or Rouens? Genders?

Mar 18, 2020
Fredrick County, VA
I have 5 delightful ducklings- 1 Pekin drake (?), 1 khaki Campbell hen, and three very quiet (?)s. The Pekin is a little younger than the others, the three in question are ~6 weeks old.
I had been thinking these three were rouens on the assumption that they were more common, but they're smaller than the KC and now that I'm looking for pics to figure out gender I'm thinking I misunderstood the "second eye line" and that these guys don't have it. Two of the three started with a thin white line on their necks, but I don't know now for sure which two they were. I've tried to voice sex them (the KC has been honking for 2 weeks, now), but the only noise they ever make are their happy grunts when I give treats or change the water in their pool. Are they actually mallards? Drakes, hens, or too soon to tell?

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_135950__01__02.jpg
    IMG_20210723_135950__01__02.jpg
    888 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210723_140032__02.jpg
    IMG_20210723_140032__02.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210723_140045__01.jpg
    IMG_20210723_140045__01.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Can you post a video of them all quaking? Drakes will have a lower raspy quack, they kinda sound like a hen with a sore throat. They also seem quack at the same pitch were hens love to shout, complain, chat and sing lol!
Hens have a louder more traditional duck quack.

Their little grunts are pretty quiet, but I'm trying to get a video. On my last attempt all you can hear are the crows and bluejays yelling at each other in the background 🤪
Lol! Cute! If they're still in their peep quack transition phase we probably won't be able to tell yet, but once/if they're fully quacking you'll be able to tell the difference.
They're very cute!
Ps. To upload a video, you have to first upload it to Youtube or another video platform then post the link here.

My service sucks ATM so I can't get your pics to load.
When I had mallards the earliest way to tell was the males bills turned green and the females stayed orange and brown.

My service sucks ATM so I can't get your pics to load.
When I had mallards the earliest way to tell was the males bills turned green and the females stayed orange and brown.
Thanks! I've been having a hard time figuring out what to look for since they don't really talk. I'm hoping not to have to wait for eggs/drake feathers!
If thats the case, it looks like all your Rouens are hens.
I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but that would be awesome. Do you think they are Rouens, then? I'm still confused about the "second eye line".

I am going to say they all 3 are mallard hens (female). their bills are orange-ish brown. and they are smaller build then the Rouen.

I have 5 delightful ducklings- 1 Pekin drake (?), 1 khaki Campbell hen, and three very quiet (?)s. The Pekin is a little younger than the others, the three in question are ~6 weeks old.
I had been thinking these three were rouens on the assumption that they were more common, but they're smaller than the KC and now that I'm looking for pics to figure out gender I'm thinking I misunderstood the "second eye line" and that these guys don't have it. Two of the three started with a thin white line on their necks, but I don't know now for sure which two they were. I've tried to voice sex them (the KC has been honking for 2 weeks, now), but the only noise they ever make are their happy grunts when I give treats or change the water in their pool. Are they actually mallards? Drakes, hens, or too soon to tell?
Those look like mallard boys to me

They look a lot like my Mallards. Mine started to get their gray bellies at the age of two and a half months and that's how I knew for sure they were turning into Drakes. My Rouens all have the lighter eyebrow above their eyes and the double stripe. Some of my Mallard Rouen mixes however only had one eye stripe and they had a Rouen Mom and a Mallard Dad. My Drakes did not quack, they just sounded raspy and they got the drake curl on their tails feathers. Good luck finding out what yours are.

Back
Top Bottom