Mallards vs Rouens as Pets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sydstallion147, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Sydstallion147

Sydstallion147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2016
    Which breed is better for pets? And do most Rouens look like they've eaten too many donuts? :rolleyes::D Thanks for the help!

2. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    I've had a couple rouen girls and a couple mallard boys. I would say Rouens. The mallads liked to fly. They came back but went a long ways. The rouens were pretty friendly. No, not all Rouens have a keel. We got some from ideal poultry, and they didn't have a keel.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    The keels the flap of skin that makes them look fat.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I love all Ducks....I love Welsh, Buff, Saxony and Calls......I prefer the heavy breeds that waddle around.....

You will love what ever you decide on though.....

Cheers!

5. Sydstallion147

Jul 2, 2016
    Thank you both! I went to our local Family Farm & Home store and they happen to have day old Rouen ducklings so I think I will go and get a couple later today! :D so exciting! Thanks again for your help.

6. chickens really

Awesome!!!!

Congrats and post some pictures of the new babies!!

Cheers!

7. Sydstallion147

Jul 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my precious little ones! They are absolutely adorable! I'm still undecided with names but I was thinking Naomi and Mara if girls or Zeke and Rowan if boys. I've couldn't find any waterfowl food for them so I bought non-medicated chick feed but I read you need to give them brewers yeast because chick feed doesn't have enough niacin in it. Does anyone know where to find brewers yeast?

8. chickens really

Wow !!!

So cute!

Congrats........Someone will be on and help you with the niacin.....I can get Duck starter so I have no clue?

Best wishes!

9. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
    Very cute! I found food grade brewers yeast at a natural grocery store. I checked with a GNC first and the guy said they sometimes get it in stock but they were out. You can also find it on Amazon I think. Good luck!

10. Sydstallion147

Jul 2, 2016
    Well I bought some brewers yeast at Walmart but I am hesitant to give any to my ducklings because it is in a tablet form and is 500mg pet tab. I sprinkled a teensy bit into their water this morning to try it out but when I got home this afternoon they were abbot less active and one of them is wheezing. I changed their water out with fresh but is there anything else I can do to help the wheezing one? I probably will probably just order some brewers yeast from amazon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by