Mallards worth it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pringle, Jan 22, 2010.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I have 4 mallards 1 is a male and 1 female pekin.There still young but will be laying in the spring.Im thinking ill let the mallards hatch out there own young since there exellent mothers then after the young get older ill put them in a seperate pen to get bigger then to eat.2 questions,will it be worth the effort for feeding the mallards and stuff,ive heard there meat is very good and also will the male mallard cross with the pekin what kind of duck would that be like?

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm not sure what the cross would be like... but I do know they make lousy meat ducks. I've processed them and they don't even compare weight wise. You can get more money out of them selling them live than you can for what their meat is worth.

If your looking for a good cross go with a muscovy/pekin cross. Get muscovy hens (great mothers) and pekin drakes.... the ducklings will be sterile but if they are destined for the grill.... they make amazing meat ducks.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I had a mutt duck. I didn't care. She still layed eggs, but she looked funny. Due to her colorings I think she was probably a peking mixed with a French duck, but I am not sure. I don't even remember exactly how I got her.
    But I would have disagree that the cross wouldn't be worth it. The peking will give more meat than the mallard. Therefore the crosses will have more meat than your 2nd generation mallards. If all you will do is slaughter them, I wouldn't worry about what they will look like. You can find out when they feather out.
    I never wanted mallards, due to their size. I more was interested in Rouens. I, personally, woudn't let them set. I would keep taking away the eggs and eat them fried because they taste awesome........just make sure you don't boil them. And if I get a broody hen I would get her to set my duck eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by