1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gretchenhau, Apr 24, 2009.

1. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    If I raise mallards and they free range, I have 2 ponds, will they stay all winter or fly off, will they come back?

2. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    I don't know, if you give them directions to my house they can fly down for the winter [​IMG] we could share!

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I don't know... I thought people who kept them as pets clipped their wings.

4. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    Don't want to clip wings as everyone here free ranges, they get put up at night.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Do you have summer visitors (wild mallards) that hang out on your ponds? If so your mallards might become attached to that flock and go where they go. Otherwise I doubt that they are just likely to take off migrating on their own. yes migrating birds tend to return to the same area on both ends of teir trips.

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have mallards and I do clip the girls but the boys can fly and have never left..I clip the girls only because they are nutty and dont want them to fly into something..The boys are kinda silly sometimes fly into each other,,,Ducks are silly,,,,

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by