1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Johndale, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    i live in south eastern louisiana and was wondering about the time that my mallards will start laying?

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Mine usually start late Feb thru early March....

3. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    but if you keep taking their eggs they should lay for more than a couple of months, one of my hens started laying in late feb and kept laying until i let her go broody in late june and hatched out eggs in july...13 little ones...

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That's a good way to increase your egg production. I think I am going to do that with my Welsh Harlequins. They are on strike right now due to the cold.

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Yes, I do the same thing. I meant they will start to lay anywhere in between there...LOL we only had one hen last year and we ended up with 28 ducklings...kept 6 sold the rest...After they feathered out...I ended up with 4 hens..4 drakes...

6. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    My one hen laid a clutch of eggs in Dec. Found it, of course they were frozen, but she continued to lay 1 a day for about 2 weeks. Shes been done for now, but I hope she starts up again soon. I am planning on letting them hatch out some babies in the spring [​IMG]

7. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    i just found my first one today the water has been high down here and theyre flying to creeks around the house but the big boys r mating with them last year i had a duck lay in one nest 24 eggs and it was her first time so hopefully shell do the same this year.

8. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    Congratulations![​IMG]

9. fogbubble

fogbubble Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Western NC
    My one mallard hen started laying BIG eggs in mid-November when she was 8 months, and she's still going. Good girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by