Mallards

Missy60

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Southwest Virginia
I have a couple questions about them. Do you clip their wings or not? I don't have a flying cage so they will free range during the day. I have heard some domestic mallards don't really fly they just get a few feet off the ground or really don't fly at all. What has been your experience with this? I also thought they were suppose to have one toe clipped or something to show they were truly domestics is this true? The ones I have do not have the toe clipped at all, but I bought them at TSC wouldn't they be selling legal ones?

I have a couple questions about them. Do you clip their wings or not? I don't have a flying cage so they will free range during the day. I have heard some domestic mallards don't really fly they just get a few feet off the ground or really don't fly at all. What has been your experience with this? I also thought they were suppose to have one toe clipped or something to show they were truly domestics is this true? The ones I have do not have the toe clipped at all, but I bought them at TSC wouldn't they be selling legal ones?
I don't know about Mallards if they have to have some kind of identifying mark like Muscovies do. But yes if you want to keep them home best clip a wing. I do for my Scovies. Scovies are suppose to have leg band or toe punch, mine have tie wraps well the ones that haven't lost theirs do anyway.

My 2 little drakes also came from TSC but are't toe punched. I don't have any legbands for them yet either but am looking into it.

As for clipping wings, YES!!! If you want to keep your birds, clip wings!!!! I do 1 wing each on my birds & just keep an eye on them when I see them flapping to make sure they are still off balance (you will be able to tell as they kind of start to tip or turn while flapping with feet on ground after a few good hard flaps if the clipping is still good).

I have 7 mallards from TSC, none have a toe clipped. I believe that is only for certain states not sure. I dont clip their wings and yes they fly lol. They fly from one end of the yard to the other and get about 8 feet off the ground so far and they are only 8ish weeks old. We dont intend to clip their wings since we free range all day with predators .

I have 7 mallards from TSC, none have a toe clipped. I believe that is only for certain states not sure. I dont clip their wings and yes they fly lol. They fly from one end of the yard to the other and get about 8 feet off the ground so far and they are only 8ish weeks old. We dont intend to clip their wings since we free range all day with predators .
Just be prepared for them to fly off any time in search of mates. If you really want them to stay, clip wings. If you are ok with them possibly leaving & potentially bringing back mates to have babies on your farm then don't worry about it. Since they really ARE fliers, they can take off any time they choose to, but there is always the chance they will return or the chance they will even stay. You just never know with Mallies
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Just be prepared for them to fly off any time in search of mates. If you really want them to stay, clip wings. If you are ok with them possibly leaving & potentially bringing back mates to have babies on your farm then don't worry about it. Since they really ARE fliers, they can take off any time they choose to, but there is always the chance they will return or the chance they will even stay. You just never know with Mallies
big_smile.png
DH and I already discussed it. We're not clipping. We do have 3 boys and 4 girls plus a female pekin and female pekin/ rouen mix. So far it seems as though the oldest male has paired up with our pekin lol. They dont go anywhere without each other. Plus we would rather allow them to fly from a predator if the need arises than be a sitting duck and be killed because they couldnt fly away. We provide them with food, pond, pools, treats, coop ect. IF they fly away so be it, and if they dont thats great :) .

Back
Top Bottom