mallare or wood duckling ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrykeeper08, May 24, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think ?

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think I vote for mallard myself. I Google Imaged wood and mallard ducklings. The wood ducklings seem to have a "square" or "blocky" head. Your little ducklings head seems to be rounded more like your typical mallard. Comparing photos, the wood ducklings seem to be more silver with the black/brown markings and the mallards are more of a green/tan with the black/brown markings. I personally think you have a mallard.

This is a good picture of a wood duck head.
    [​IMG]

Note the shape of the head and the underlying color(not the markings) as compared to this mallard duckling.

[​IMG]

-Kim

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say mallard.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That's a perfect example of the difference in the eye stripe.... half stripe for wood duck and full stripe for mallard.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I would also note the claws of both species. Wood ducks should have much larger claws than the mallards. If you look closely at the first photo(of the wood duck) you will see it has sharp curled claws and your mallard just seems to have average sized claws.

Hope that helps. Still think it is a mallard, myself. Which is better because they are cared for very similar to our domestic birds, whereas I hear wood ducks can be a bit different. Your keeping of a mallard would most likely be less questioned(legal wise) than a wood duck.

-Kim

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mallard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by