Malnutrition in Cayuga Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SpecialHen, Oct 7, 2015.

1. SpecialHen

SpecialHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I have two female Cayuga's. They look healthy, but my friend wants me to improve their diet. Their wings are 'angel winging' as she puts it - meaning the tips of the wings meet or cross. Apparently in birds that means something in their diet isn't being met.
    All of the threads I'm reading is they feed their ducks what they feed their chickens. I have feed from Tractor Supply, and they rummage from the chicken feed. Crumbles, Bird Seed, Oyster Shell or Egg Shell from Chicken or Duck, mealworms..
    Is there something I should be putting in their diet? Are they fine?

2. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Not sure what you mean about their wings crossing. Can you post a pic? What you describe isn't sounding to me like what's referred to as angel wing.

Can you tell us how old these ducks are if you know? "Angel wing" usually happens very early when the young ones are feathering. Crumbles are sometimes, but not always, meant for young ones, and bird seed isn't really good for them. Mealworms are okay sparingly as a treat, but not as a part of their regular diet. Healthy treats like leafy greens other than spinach are also great. Hard to say without more info.

3. SpecialHen

Apr 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I know! She gives her chickens bird seed, a lot of it, and my ducks get into it sometimes. I'll go take a photo with my phone. Mealworms are a treat, its not often at all. I'm considering the extra money like Mazuri but may stick with TSC brands. I have had them since they were babies, they were born in March, so 7 months old now. Be right back with a photo.

4. SpecialHen

Apr 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Oh they also free range all day.

5. SpecialHen

Apr 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

6. SpecialHen

Apr 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    The ducks are not separated from her chickens and she does a mash up of all the above listed items. Mine are on a grower/finisher at the moment, and will probably continue being on a flock raiser feed with what I've read thus far. The chickens and ducks get into each other's feed, but we are talking about feeding them separately which I like the idea of. Living under the same roof can be difficult sometimes with differences.

7. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    That is exactly what a ducks wings are supposed to look like [​IMG] google "angel wing in ducks" you will see why I roll my eyes here. I would try a poultry pellet, either for a laying flock or not, you didn't say their genders. I don't know anything about chickens - but don't give your ducks bird seed. I've read it can impact their crop.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I feed my ducks chicken food - because it is all I have access to. Just check the protein content - at their age they shouldn't have too high of a protein level. My layena has 16% I think. I supplement with lots of greens and fruits, and add grains too.

9. SpecialHen

Apr 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    See I thought so, too. I've seen photos of ducks and I'm going 'are you sure....allll of those ducks are malnutritioned as well?' I'll make sure she feeds her chickens when my ducks are away from her chickens, I was worried about the impacting as well but, you know, I haven't been around chickens or ducks since I was 16, so I would know less. [​IMG] Thank you for confirming what I thought, I will let her know when she gets back in tonight.

10. SpecialHen

Apr 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I will buy grains and mix in with the feed. I was just researching that a while ago and wrote down a 'recipe' for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by