Malposition Chick - Lump on Shoulder

Lizzy733

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
Our first pip had us quite excited, till it started leaking albumen. We made sure it wasn't going to drown and left it overnight to rest.

This morning, we had another pip that zipped right away and popped out with no issues and this got our first pip trying to break out, but it was obvious something wasn't quite right with this one. It wasn't zipping and the shell was breaking in an odd pattern, so whisked this one away for an intervention.

As I start excavating, we find the head is over the wing and foot over the head. There was a bit of bleeding at the navel, so I was able to stop that with bentonite clay and popped the baby back in the incubator to give that navel a bit more time before I try to soak and remove the sticky albumen from its feathers.

Now, this chick is remaining curled in and it's shoulder seems deformed, like a hunchback lump. Has anyone seen this before? Would it be related to the malposition, or is it a legitimate deformity?

In the pic below, it's the bright blonde ball on the neck. I'd did seem possibly fluid-filled, so hoping the malposition was the cause and it'll go down in its own.

Any suggestions from here?

IMG_20211014_095854.jpg

There is a wing in there tucked low and close to the body. I didn't want to handle it too much due to the navel, but it appeared to be physically intact otherwise.

Getting more active in the incubator. There was a bit of brown/green discharge for a bit. Not sure if it was albumen or possibly yolk, but that's stopped. Will be medicating with Betadine once I've had a chance to bathe the little one

Lump is still very prominent though.

Her 'sister'(?) Is in my lap happily Trilling on top of a hot water bottle. She was getting lonely on her own and calling out.

There are only 3 more pips and nobody else is zipping. The other 7 haven't gotten started yet.

I don’t have much experience with incubating or chicks with problems, but hopefully your chick will start acting more normal with time and care.

Getting more active in the incubator. There was a bit of brown/green discharge for a bit. Not sure if it was albumen or possibly yolk, but that's stopped. Will be medicating with Betadine once I've had a chance to bathe the little one

Lump is still very prominent though.

Her 'sister'(?) Is in my lap happily Trilling on top of a hot water bottle. She was getting lonely on her own and calling out.

There are only 3 more pips and nobody else is zipping. The other 7 haven't gotten started yet.
Good luck! I hope they’ll be okay! Is this your first time hatching?

Quick bath, but it doesn't seem to have done much. Navel has been dabbed with betadine (is not weeping) and baby has joined it's sibling in the swaddle.

It's unfurled and acting normal despite its gluey feathers and lumpy shoulder. (Definitely looks to be fluid. Skin looks a bit transparent)

We have another hatched in the Bator now, already very alert and active.

Hmm, also mild club foot on the one that was over the head... Does it need splinting, or do you think it could sort itself out? It seems mild, toes partially curled and chick is occasionally able to spread them properly.

I can always pop some vet wrap on there, but should I give it a day to rest? The ones that have hatched are all pretty exhausted.

The shoulder 'might' be going down... Hard to see as it's fluffing up around the leftover gunk. Fingers crossed it's just from the wing getting pinned under the head and then the foot.

Can't believe this lil guy had two malposition a going at once.

Hmm, also mild club foot on the one that was over the head... Does it need splinting, or do you think it could sort itself out? It seems mild, toes partially curled and chick is occasionally able to spread them properly.

I can always pop some vet wrap on there, but should I give it a day to rest? The ones that have hatched are all pretty exhausted.

The shoulder 'might' be going down... Hard to see as it's fluffing up around the leftover gunk. Fingers crossed it's just from the wing getting pinned under the head and then the foot.

Can't believe this lil guy had two malposition a going at once.
Wait a little bit for the foot, if it’s is curled vet wrap should be fine just make sure to not put it on too tight. Keep us updated! 🙂🐔

Back
Top Bottom