Malpositioned pip, help ASAP please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amynrichie, Mar 5, 2016.

1. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I am on day 21 for my shipped eggs. I decided to hatch upright in cut down cartons after doing some reading. Tonight, I took the two dried chicks out due to crowding, and did a quick pick up and check of eggs that I could not see a pip on. I found two eggs with pips on the wrong end. At this point would they be safer laying down, or left in the carton. I haven't even contemplated assisting yet, but will keep a close eye on these two. What actions would lead to the best outcome?

Edit: Both are still chirping

Thanks!
    Amy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    Here are pictures of both eggs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ruthannnall

Ruthannnall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Belmont Louisiana
    My pipped on the side of the egg Last night. I am still waiting. There is still movement in the egg and I heard a peep.[​IMG]

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Turn the egg over, and tilt slightly so the pip is top dead center facing directly upwards to avoid any potential pockets of liquid or a chick body part from causing suffocation, let it hatch normally...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I did, and one of them is making almost instant progress- Thanks!

6. Ruthannnall

Ruthannnall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Belmont Louisiana
    Mine pipped on the side some time last night. still waiting for it to zip. there is still movement in the egg but not much progress with the PIP it broke through the outside shell of the egg but looks to be the membrane is still intact[​IMG]

7. MeepBeep

Don't be surprised if the other one takes longer, some chicks pip then take a long name before zipping, 12-24 hours is not uncommon...

8. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    Very true. I've had one pipped since last night, this is my first experience with a wrong end. Is that more common with shipped eggs?

9. MeepBeep

I can't say, I have hatched plenty of my own eggs and had plenty of wrong end pips can't say I have noticed any increase in shipped egg hatches, but detached air sacks (quite common in shipped eggs) could likely aggravate the issue...

10. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle

The little OE made it out, but I'm still waiting on the leghorn to make his move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by