MALPOSITIONED! What do I do????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AtlantisPeeps, Jun 27, 2016.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    First two pips and one is pipping through the middle of the egg!!! Will it be ok? Should I monitor it through the night or is it safe to get a little sleep? What should I, or shouldn't I do?
    [​IMG]

2. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Anyone? The chick busted a nice big hole in it last night. I candled it to see where the air cell was and the chick had pipped about 1/2" inch above the air cell.

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Should be fine. Most upside-downers can hatch ok on their own

4. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    If you are worried though you could take off that tiny piece of shell that is chipped and check to see if the membrane has a tiny tear in it so the chick can breath. If it doesn't have any tears then you could poke a TINY (like pencil-tip size is good) hole just so the chick can breath. But wet the membrane a little first so you can see where the veins are so you don't accidentally poke one!

Also if you open up the incubator maybe put a damp paper-towel or something in to raise the humidity up fast so the rest of the eggs don't get dried out and "shrink wrapped"

5. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    [​IMG]

It did this sometime in the night. It's not making any progress on zipping and it's just sitting there peeping. How long should I wait before I need to intervene?

6. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    It will be ready once all the veins are absorbed (cause then the yolk sack will be absorbed too). Once it seems like the veins are gone then you could chip away a bit more shell and wet the membrane to see if it is clear, if it is you can slowly peel it away until the chick can push itself out on it's own. Stop peeling if you see blood though and wait about another hour before trying again.

Here's an article on assisted hatching, it's a little long but has so much great info
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by