Mama and Baby making babies in the future?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KauAnnie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Ok I forgot whats that called, interbreeding?? Brain fart, lol. Ok so I have a mom and her chick is a boy. Im trying to tell my parents that we cant keep the boy because he might mate with his mom in the future and thats not good for the babies. Am I right? Could someone give me more information on this subject? Thanks!

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    If he does, just take her eggs away and don't ever let her become a mama to her grandkids. [​IMG]

But seriously, I read somewhere that it's not the same for chickens. They won't like have a leg on their forehead

3. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:Ohh, really. Wow, thats a relief! I bonded so well with the boy.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Line breeding....and it's ok. Those babies will be fine, it's when you get down a few generations that you might have problems.

and BTW...he will mate with mom. [​IMG] It's just what roosters do. lol

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, its ok genetically, but the concept still bothers me -- I have some doves in a big colony cage, and despite the fact they are supposed to be monogamous, the one male is really interested in wooing his own daughter, while his mate is sitting on the nest.

I guess I need to break John and Mackenzie into separate cages so they'll knock if off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by