Mama and chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seminolewind, Jun 30, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My chicks are 6 days old. They are in a 4x8 coop tractor. I leave the door open, but the chicks can't get out. Mama has jumped out today and took a dust bath, then went back in, then jumped out again. The chicks peepeepeep.
    How long do Mamas care for their chicks? Should I close the door? The coop is all wire, with a roof, and sides that open up like wings to keep the sun and rain out.

2. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    My hens rejected their chicks at the earliest 5 weeks. It was hard on them, not understanding why their mother pecks at them & runs them off. Keep a watchful eye at that time. One of my hens killed a chick! Made me sick! Mine went back to laying pretty quickly after running them off.

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Oh know! I don't know about mine. She is not agressive, and she was debeaked.

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I raised chickens 25 years ago and am just now getting back into it. My question for you is: 1. Is there a reason not to let chicks out with Mama? 2. Are you feed ing chicks seperately?
    My vote is to let chicks run outside with Mama to be taught what to do in the bigger world.

5. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    The mama will probably sit outside of the cage and call them and not understand why they aren't coming. Unless there is a great reason, they would be happier and safer out there with her. She shouldn't abandon them this early, but she might leave them behind more than usual if they can't come with her. The earliest I've had a mama kick her babies away was around 5-6 weeks.
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. I feed mom and babies chick starter/grower. They are in a 4x8 a frame coop. I'm going to change things around and secure the run tomorrow so that the chicks will be safe in there so they can go out with mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by