Mama and chicks how long do they stay seperated

NNYchick

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 15, 2017
Harrisville, NY
I currently have mama and chicks separated with a wire dog play pen but in the coop. How long will she stay separated, at what age do you start letting her intragrate them with the flock? The chicks are a week old now and she lays closed to the food and water. The chicks go out from under her to eat and drink play a little but she basically stays in the same spot. She does get up and walk away a little in the enclosure because I find a broody poo at the other end. I ask because I also have a group of almost 6 week old chicks I am brooding in a dog kennel in the coop. I would like to move the 6 week olds to the area where the mama and chicks are as it is a lot bigger, that set up would be so much easier to care for them, it would also be easier to allow them to intragrate with the flock as I can put some bricks under the bottom of the enclosure and they could go in and out but the older flock members cant get in. Then I would put the mama and young chicks in the dog kennel as they seem to be using a lot less space.

Everyone does things differently with that said my experances are:
I usually leave momma and babies separte, but through hardwire cloth so they are still close to the flock, until babies are a week or 2 old(usually just a week if its my good momma) If she is a good momma you dont have too much to worry about. The momma will protect them and keep them safe. But i make it so they can still go into the nursery at night, to be locked in safe, until they are old enough to roost with the flock. The momma will teach them everything they need to know. There is a pecking order, there is nothing you can do about that. The big chickens will put the babies in their place, and then the momma will put the big chicken in theirs.
Now with that said my chickens free range so the momma will keep the littles at a bit of a distance from the flock until they are bigger. Being in a run things mau go a bit different with letting them all together. I would wait until they are older to let them with the flock if that is the case.
You could always switch the sets. (Put momma and babies in the smaller side and the others in the bigge side)
Just my experience.
Hope a little bit helps!

Got everyone moved around. Mama and babies weren’t fazed about they settled right into the crate. The older chicks were carrying on about the move. I will let mama be for a couple days then I’ll start opening the crate door during the day. Is it normal for a brooding hen to not really get up except once a day to poo off the nest? If so how long

Got everyone moved around. Mama and babies weren’t fazed about they settled right into the crate. The older chicks were carrying on about the move. I will let mama be for a couple days then I’ll start opening the crate door during the day. Is it normal for a brooding hen to not really get up except once a day to poo off the nest? If so how long
How old are her Chicks now?

With them being a week old she should be up and about with them during the day.
Usually they only have those behviours when on eggs or day old chicks. Once they are all hatched and able to get about she will come and go from the nest regularly during the day with them following. Unless it is EXTREAMLY cold and she wants to keep the chicks warm.

How old are her Chicks now?
They are 9 day old today.
With them being a week old she should be up and about with them during the day.
Usually they only have those behviours when on eggs or day old chicks. Once they are all hatched and able to get about she will come and go from the nest regularly during the day with them following. Unless it is EXTREAMLY cold and she wants to keep the chicks warm.
It is cold here, not extremely cold to me but to some it is. In the 40’s during day and 20’s at night. The chicks are active and eating well, every time I’m out there they have full crop or in the dish eating. She acts fine and I have seen her eating and drinking.

They are 9 day old today.

It is cold here, not extremely cold to me but to some it is. In the 40’s during day and 20’s at night. The chicks are active and eating well, every time I’m out there they have full crop or in the dish eating. She acts fine and I have seen her eating and drinking.
Cool...Congrats..I would just take down the separation and let them loose...I do all the time..never one issue...

Back
Top Bottom