Mama and only chick at 4.5 wks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ellie, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I am probably going to drive y'all crazy posting the updates of this little chick.

His name is Rhett because he is from Georgia (Speckled Hen's egg that Lacy hatched).

I wanted a Rooster so bad and now our 'Little Prince has come', LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yep! You've got yourself a boy! [​IMG]

3. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    You guys amaze me that you can tell the sex of the birds so easily. I am trying to take lessons from here and Cynthia but still..... she knew at 2 weeks old. Isn't that something?

Amazing.....

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're going to enjoy this little guy so much, Ellie! Keep interacting with him and I bet he'll be as sweet as his daddy, Dutch, or his uncles, Mace and Zane.

Hey, Hawkeye, here's another grandson for you, Big Guy! You are sorely missed here.

5. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Awww, now that tugs on the heart strings and puts a tear in the eye. I hope he looks and acts like Hawkeye... remains to be seen. But after three tries, we got him.

Rhett is much friendlier than any of the chicks that I have had. All my girls are friendly but as chicks, they ran to mama or at least away, that's for sure. Rhett runs towards me!! [​IMG]

P.S. How many grandsons does Hawkeye have so far?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How many grandsons does Hawkeye have so far

A few, not too many though. Dutch is 30 weeks old now, so he hasn't been at this too long. Most every egg I crack from the laying flock is fertile, so Dutch and Mace are getting around to about 45 women.​

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Well, Dutch is my hero...[​IMG] And Holly of course, since it is she who determines the sex.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by