1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama and puppies, QUESTION

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by McCord6, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I noticed everyday that Mama dog is getting SKINNIER AND SKINNIER and at the point right now, she is on the edge of being BONE AND SKIN. I have no idea why! She is fed double then she was before. I changed her feed to SCIENCE DIET based on Vet's order, once the puppies were born. I give her the Science Diet 2x a day and I have a bowl that is "BOTTOM LESS" of our regular feed. I have seen her eat just fine but she is NOT gaining weight at all. Anyone have any ideas why?

ANOTHER QUESTION:
    Kind of a lil "ADULT ONLY" type of question, not sure. [​IMG]
    When the mom is outside, the pups since to rather sleep or suck on each other's private areas. I have NEVER seen that before and it kinda disguests me (Im preggo so It's hard to watch stuff like that!).They are well fed, nursed with mom as well as taking the bottle from me, when needed (8 puppies won't all fit around mom for feed, they end up pushing off and such, she is a small mama for 8 BIG puppies). 1 expecially does this, MAX, the BIG BIG BIG boy. Everytime I see him do that, I pick him up, tap his nose (Their eyes are open and they are very active now, Im sure it's a good time to start training some stuff with them) and move him to a different spot but he just goes to another pup and search for their "PEE PEE" to suck on (NASTY!) [​IMG]
    Is this normal? GROSS! [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It sounds like your momma is literally being sucked dry....If it really bothers you, then you might try to supplement their mother's milk w/ some soft food (puppy chow w/warm water added???).

As for the "nursing" behavior, I have seen it in a pair of kittens I fostered. And that's all it is...nursing action for comfort. It LOOKS gross, but it's nothing sexual. However, I would discourage it in an appropriate manner, because it could irritate the place on the "victim."

3. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Have the dog checked for coccidia. A vet can do with with a fecal sample. If it goes on too long, it can kill them. Treatment is simple and not expensive.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Start feeding the mother puppy food. It has extra calories, etc.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Honestly, "Science Diet" is a poor feed and I honestly believe that veterinarians only recommend it because Science and Prescription Diet sponsor them.

I worked for a veterinarian for over a year, anytime a kenneled dog was "prescribed" Science Diet, they lost MORE weight than before and FASTER.

Switch to a higher rated food, like Nutro Natural Choice, available at Petsmart or Tractor Supply, choose Puppy Chow. It's rated higher due to the ingrediants, less corn and more of the good stuff. There are higher rated feeds, use the BYC search and look up the thread on Dog Food Evaluation. I believe the Nutro Natural Choice, Lamb and Rice was something like a 94 where Ol' Roy is like 27 and Pedigree is rated a 19!!

Hardboil and peel some eggs and boil some chicken and feed it to her as well.

If it hasn't been done already, have a fecal test done on her. She may have worms or another infection that is robbing her of nutrients.

-Kim

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:I strongly agree with this!!! Puppy food is almost a must for nursing moms!!

7. I know it's not worms cuz she has been tested and she has been treated for worms every month. Her puppies also turned out to be negative on the worm catagory. It's her that Im worried about, she was PERFECT form for a Bassette Hound/Bull Terrier (Cubby) and now she is just bone and SKIN!

GUess Im going to take her off the Science Diet and just give her the regular feed That I have. Since I am OVERLOADED on eggs (Im on WIC for 3 kids and myself so Eggs since to go overboard very easily) I will start making her some hard boiled eggs smashed in with her feed 2x a day and see how that works.

She has to go as soon as the puppies are ready. She has now gotten the "OUT FOR BLOOD" behavior for Chickens (my neighbor is threatening to shoot her since she has stolen 4 of their chicks right out of their coop. I begged them to hold off for a few weeks, after a surtain day, they are free to do whatever they want with her since she has also killed mine (I don't want to be cruel about it but enough is enough). I cant get her to a new home if she is looking like a dog that hasn't been fed in MONTHS!

8. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Quote:Hear, hear. I foster cats for the humane society, and Science Diet is a lousy food. Full of salt. I agree on the Nutro too, I have all my dogs on it (5 of them!) and it is truly superior.

9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:What is your regular food? Adult? You really should get her on puppy food. I know many breeders also supplement with powdered milk or milk replacer. Regular adult food just isn't enough for her.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I agree too. Nutro Puppy Food. That will fatten her up. It's about the same price as the Science Diet and 100% better! They guarentee there food too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by